Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice. I'm crate training by 6 month old beagle pup Stan. We had a few issues at first with him constantly pooing in his crate (and not appearing bothered about it) but we seem to have nipped that one in the bud, (phew!) Trouble is we can't seem to stop him urinating in his crate. His crate is just the right size for him to stretch / stand, we religiously clean all his bed and scrub his crate clean with bio detergent and take him out when he wakes up / before bed etc etc but he has this trick of peeing outside of the cage so he isn't lying in his own urine, but there is urine all over the side of his crate and on the floor. I'm starting to get tired on cleaning up urine everyday sometimes twice a day. He knows to do it outside and gets praised everytime, but he just is so hard to toilet train it's really starting to drain me.

I don't like being annoyed with him and i'm sure he can sense i am. I know it's prob not his fault and more likely something i'm doing wrong, but i just don't know what...is he still young, will he grow out of this?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know how long Stan is in the crate every time, but you probably shouldn't keep him in there all the time; only when you are gone, during the night and when you're home but can't watch him. Apart from that, take him out once an hour and praise praise praise, do the indian tribal dances, cheer - anything to make him understand you are pleased with him peeing outside.

Other than that, I'm sure he'll get it soon enough - they seem to just stop one day!

I'm assuming that the vet rules out any bladder problem.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts

Indian tribal dance!! Sure did that a lot!
I now keep the crate door open. But Charlie never had that problem. Do not keep him in for more than 5-6 hours except night time. If we are out whole day, he'll be in the garage with all his toys and water and crate. Sometimes he will hold until we come back, but once or twice he just can't hold it anymore.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe the problem is that your cleaning the crate too thoroughly?

My Zbój peed in the crate only once but I guess it was because he couldn't hold it any more (it was his first night at our place and in his new crate). I was amazed on how long he can hold it, but that's his instinct... It should prevent him from peeing in his den. Once you clean it good, in theory all smells are gone so the dog doesn't really care or doesn't remember that he did it there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The longest Stan is in his crate during the day is 3 hrs, but all night during the night (except when we let him out for toilet). He normally pees in the crate during those 3 hours and in the night. Sometimes we take him out to pee, but he refuses, so we put him in his crate for 10 minutes, in which time he occassionally pee in the crate. I actually once saw him walk into his crate and pee like that was the designated peeing spot.

He seems to have skipped that instinct of not wanting to soil his den...we've had troubles with that ever since we got him at 12 weeks....not sure if the dirty seed had already been planted by then.

He's a lot better now toilet training wise, he never pees in the house anymore...just in his crate which is in the house. He does pee outside, and if we are around he lets us know he needs to go out. But if we're not, he uses the crate every time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am a little confused...Is he peeing inside his crate or outside ON the crate? Is his crate in a pen where he is able to get out of it and pee on the crate? I was confused with him peeing but not laying in it. Sorry, I can be a little dense!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, hmmmm...that is a tough one. The only thing I could add to the other advice is possibly trying a crate with more solid sides so that he will have to lay in it. He may stop very quickly when he figures out that he will have to lay in it.

Hope he stops soon! Keep us posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.