Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 brothers that are right at 5 months old we have had since they were 6 weeks old. I wanted another Mtn. Feist. My wife rescued these two from a pet store that should be closed. They were about dead from worms when we picked them up and took them to the vet. Anyway these dogs are the hardest to house train of any dog I have ever seen. Take them out every hour and they will still urinate in their play pin or any were they decide. We have tried everything that we have done in the past for the other dogs that we have had and nothing works. Clean bill of health from the vet, no urinary infections. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good work on rescuing them from the pet store, you're a saint! There ought to be a law against those places, but I digress.

For stubborn dogs, crate training is a very good option. Be sure to get an appropriately sized cage, something they can easily turn around inside but not much more. This way, they will not 'want' to go potty until they get out of there. This is your chance to take them outside, show them to a nice spot, and let them go as soon as they feel comfortable. Once they are done, give them lots of praise and treats, make them want to do this every time they have to potty. If they are being more stubborn about just letting it go inside the house, give them more crate time until they get into the rhythm of signaling you, and getting taken out.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My beagle is just under 7 months and while he's very close to being potty trained I wouldn't call him 100% housebroken. Hang in there...

Be sure to really really clean up accidents well...use Nature's Miracle and possibly invest in a nice easy to use steam cleaner vaccum. Their noses are very strong and its easy for them to sniff their scent and want to go potty in the same spot they went before.

Also, possibly try positive reinforcement...give treats when they go potty outside in the correct spot. We did this for Boomer for a couple of months and he no longer gets treats - just a "Good Boy!" praise.

I second the idea to crate train. Seemed to work well with Boomer. He hardly EVER has an accident in there.

Hope this helps and doesn't just repeat what you've already been trying. I imagine its twice as hard with two pups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sleep in a crate at night and never go in there. They bark if they need out, but 99% of the time they are ok from 10:00 pm to Around 7:00 am. If they are in their play pin during the day thats when we have the problem. We don't want to keep them in their crate all day. We work at home so we let them out when they bark or at least every 2 hours. Then sometimes they come in from out side and urinate in their play pin. My wife is trying a new idea taking them out 1 at a time so they will not play so much. Out side they have a large fenced in area to play and walk in, they are pretty good about going in the same spot in their lot. Last week it rained for the 1st time here since they were born, and they don't like to get their feet wet, or anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts