Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone & Anyone !!!!

i have a 4month old male beagle. yesterday i notice alil pink tone under his nose. more like he got into something he ate but after giving him a bath it was still there. today i came home from work and i seem to have gotten more red than yesterday. im unsure of what it could be... also i notice that he walks with a lil limp, he was running around yesterday with no problem and when i took him out his crate he has a lil limp. i also remember him, nibbling and licking his foot. i thought it was normal but this evening when i went to check it out close when he was licking again, he groudled and when i touch it he nipped me !

i work from 5:30am til 3:30-4pm. so i have him in his crate with his toys, water & food. he put up a fight to go inside and barks and gets upset when he is in there... i know all last week when i would come home, he would be able to push the bottom tray completely out of the crate. then i would come home to his poop on the floor. couple days ago i placed a lock on one of the bars so the tray doesnt slide out. when i come home he poops all over the crate, i wipe him down, his feet, his butt, where their is poop on him.

just today he wasnt acting his playful and active way. very quiet, the sad look. walking with a lil limp and trying to bite, lick & nibble his foot. if anyone can help please comment, i also added pics so u can see what his mouth looks life before and after, thank u.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Do you have an emergency vet clinic near you? If so, I would probably take him in. I don't know what is wrong with the mouth. If he is licking and nibbling on his foot, it could be a wound. Once, Toby got a sticker lodged between his "toes" that wasn't noticable until it got infected. Or he may have twisted a joint or something playing. My vet reminds me, that just like us stepping funny off a curb or something, dogs can twist or sprain things too.

What is most worrisome, though, is that he isn't acting like himself. That's what makes me say take him to the vet.

Hopefully, someone here will have some advice on the mouth.

BTW, welcome to BW and your pup is just beautiful.

·
Registered
443 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif I would agree with the vet visit more because of the fact your pup (so adorable) is not acting like himself. Also, if the pup did pick up a sticker or thorn in his paw that is causing the limp, the vet would likely be able to see it better.

Good luck with your very cute pup.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He is very cute!! I have to agree with Kim and Buffy. Take him to the vet and share every little detail on his usual behavior and unusual behavior. It's very important they know all that.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just wanted to bump this up, hoping Andy's dad will find it. Also hoping for an update on little Andy...

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I agree with what everybody said...your precious baby needs to be seen by a vet.

Keep us posted.

~Denise

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smokin.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Am I correct in that you leave him in the crate for 10 hours a day? That is an awful long time for any pup never mind a 4 month old one to be left alone in a crate.

Even an adult dog would have a hard time holding their pee and poop for that long so no wonder you come home to a mess and a very agitated pup.

His mouth looks sore as though he might have been chewing on the bars of his crate or chewing on his foot. Maybe his foot hurts because in his efforts to get out of the crate or push the bottom tray out he got his foot caught and twisted it.

I'm sorry but leaving a pup on his own in a crate for 10 hours a day is wrong.

·
Registered
289 Posts
First of all, he is one of the cutest things I ever laid my eyes on! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif

Second of all, it looks like an allergic reaction to something, did you take him to the vet?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I agree with Jennifer...it does look like he might have been chewing on his crate, maybe trying to get out. It definitely looks sore and painful, and I wouldn't hesitate getting him to the vet.

He's sooooooo adorable by the way!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If he is anything like my little boy, he doesn't like to go for that long all by himself. At 4 months, the longest he was alone for was 5 hours in a stretch, and that was very rare. Pawing or chewing on the cage is an instinctive response, he is worried! Dogs can adjust to a lot of strange things, but one thing that will really hurt his development is being left alone to the point where he has an anxiety attack, he will only come to fear it more and develop worse and worse separation anxiety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone,

thank you for ur concern and advice. Andy is doing much better. he is back to his old, wild, hyper self. what i did was bought a gate to close him off to walk around in a space part of the hallway, bathroom and access to his crate. 3 times more room for him than he had then just being in the crate. no more limp and his mouth is going down. i believe it was him doing that trying to get out of the crate, espically if he has to use the bathroom because he is always going on his weewee pad.

again tks...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally Posted By: andyboyi believe it was him doing that trying to get out of the crate, espically if he has to use the bathroom because he is always going on his weewee pad
I thought so, I recognised the reason for the sore immediately because this happened to a neighbour of mine who left her pup for extended periods in a crate.

I'm very happy that you have made him more comfortable with the gate instead of confining him in the crate for so long /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad to hear Andy is doing better. I agree with others that the sores on his muzzle look like he was trying to chew his way out of the crate. Using a gate to confine him sounds like a much better situation. I hope he continues to improve! He is absolutely adorable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts