Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi only just over 2 days till my lil puppy timber comes home. Wow I can't wait. I am so nervous.

Anyhows i took all your advice on bourd and even though I had prepared the room for her, I'm now buying a crate. I just need to know, is it basically the bigger the better, because her bed is mediumish size and she has to have all her things in.

Also im now sleeping downstairs in the conservatory on the fold out sofa bed by the door, so she can go potty when she needs too in the night.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Bigger is not always better or so I've been told.
We got Abby a crate that is probably too big for her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif Let me see if I can get you some measurements...

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
My feeling for a new puppy is the bigger the better.

In the past, for my dogs when I worked and had to crate them...I would place a "bed" in the far back of the crate, or a thick folded towel or washable pillow for them to get comfy on.

In the very front, I would place newspaper or a pad for them to potty on.

It's been a long time but hopefully it gives the new baby a place to potty and then get away from it.

~Denise

·
Registered
865 Posts
I go for the crates that are the right size for a full grown beagle. In most brands that is Medium or Large (most likely medium). A dog thinks of its crate as a den and in the wild a den is usually just big enough to get cozy. I have heard this when it comes to sizing - it should be big enough for him/her to stand up and turn around. So not too short or narrow, but small enough to be "cozy" when she is full grown. I wouldn't go any smaller than a medium or any larger than a large. If they are way too big they will pee/poop on one side and curl up on the other. You want them to not want to do that if you are potty training.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
A medium sized crate is a good size for the average beagle puppy. If the crate is too large, the puppy will use one end as the bathroom and the other end as the bedroom! I even blocked off part of the back of our crate when I first got Phoebe. I removed this as she grew, maybe 2-3 weeks later. I have tried paper training and crate training over the past 20 years, and I believe crate training is the quickest way to house train a puppy.
Getting a new puppy is so exciting! Can't wait to see pics of your new little girl when you get her home! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You should get a crate that will fit an adult beagle. The dog should be able to stand and have a 3-4 inches from the top of the skull to the top of the crate, and the dog needs to be able to lie down comfortably in the crate... use the size of an average beagle!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I got the biggest crate I could fine, mine is for a Rotti or GSD, it is 3ft x 4ft. I made a bed across the back and put a puppy pad across the front because I was always goen for 9 hours at a time and they couldn't hold it that long. I never had a problem at all. I feel bad leaving them in a smaller crate. Right now, they are in a kennel that is 6ft x 10ft in the basement.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I have a rather large crate, but I purchased the type that has a adjustable divider. As Maggie grows, I will adjust the crate bigger to accomodate for her size. But for right now I only give her enough room to stand up and turn around...otherwise she would potty in the crate.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I measured mine this morning. It is the large size as shown in the example and link Beaglebabe gave you which is (36 X 24 X 27 inches).

You can buy them at Pets At Home Peter if you have one near you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
you got some good information here, so I just wanted to say that I've been reading your posts and you've done your homework for this new puppy!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/slug.gif

Good luck with him! He's very lucky already to have an owner who cares so much about him!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I bought Daisy this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745 along with the removable floor grate http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752843

It is 36" x 24" x 27" I just went by the guide on their site. It came with a divider that I am using now because it's way too big for her at this point. The divider is great because if she does have an accident it falls to the pan below and she doesn't end up getting all in it. She's only had a couple of accidents but that was much easier clean up. I put pads underneath the grate too to help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Shouldn't the crate be just big enough for the puppy to turn around comfortably? I believe I read that if the crate is too large, the puppy will be prone to potty on one side of the crate and resting on the other. please correct me if i'm wrong. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomI bought Daisy this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745 along with the removable floor grate http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752843

It is 36" x 24" x 27" I just went by the guide on their site. It came with a divider that I am using now because it's way too big for her at this point. The divider is great because if she does have an accident it falls to the pan below and she doesn't end up getting all in it. She's only had a couple of accidents but that was much easier clean up. I put pads underneath the grate too to help.
I meant to say the floor grate is good for easy clean up not the divider. The divider is good for making it smaller since she doesn't even fill up half of it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: Spencer's MumA floor grate would be very hard on their feet, mine has a solid plastic pan and I put washable blankets in there.
I was worried about that too, but we've had no problems with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey. Thank you all so much for the advice. I went and bought my crate tonight.

A special thanks to Jennifer as when i went to pets at home I took the measurements you gave me and they worked a treat at finding the right one.

So I am sooooo nervous about picking my lil bay up tomorrow. I have now moved downstairs and am sleeping next too her in the conservatory so i can take her ouside when she needs to go.

Thank you all for the support, it's been really really helpful.

I have her first vaccination and i get to chat to the nurse on friday so thats awesome aswell.

I will be posting loads of piks up.

Peter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts