Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bit the bullet and bought a RAV4 in order to give us all some breathing room when we travel with Katie. I was planning on using the back cargo area as Beagle Command Post and using a pet barrier to keep her confined.

However, I read on a bulletin board that the metal pet barriers can become projectiles if they aren't secured well and the airbags/curtain deploys.

So, here are my questions (sorry, there's a bunch of them)

1.) Is this an urban legend?
2.) Should I just buy a crate instead?
3.) Katie gets very anxious in the car and I'm concerned that she'll hurt her foot clawing at the door of the gate. Any suggestions besides sedating her?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think it's both yes and no. There are dog barriers made by the manufacturer of your car that are properly fitted and bolted into place. But they're also $200-$300. Then there are generic dog barriers for any type of car and use spring-loaded rods to hold it into place. They're good to keep the dog confined, however in a crash with 30 lbs. hitting it at full force can easily dislodge it. So in that case I think they're more dangerous.

We have a Subaru Tribeca and decided to get the Subie one. I'm glad we did because it's much sturdier and fits better.

Here's a picture of ours, you can see how well it's attached.

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Anything loose in the car with mass can become a projectile at speed. So no, its not an urban legend. Mythbusters did a show on it. A tissue box may not kill, but a can of corn sure can.

And a BIG
to Brien & Bodie! <span style="font-weight: bold">SUBARU RULES!</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">OK... So my wife Frani works for Subaru HQ. If anyone is looking for a new Subaru, let me know.</span>

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh Yes, a can of corn moving at 30 MPH within a car becomes a 30 MPH projectile when the car abruptly stops. Less we forget Sir Issac's first law of motion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts