Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly is now 9 months old, and since we've had her, she's had a bit of a weak stomach. She often has a soft stool, but in the past 2 months, she's had diarrhea pretty much constantly. After the first week of this, we took her to the vet, and they gave us intestinal antibiotics which help her, but only while she is on them. After two weeks of being off the antibiotics, we took her again, because she had diarrhea. They put her on the antibiotics and dewormer powder that she had once, and then again three weeks after. As soon as the treatment was over, it was back. She sometimes has an upset stomach and throws up, but only 3 or 4 times since this started.

We were talking to someone at the dog park about this problem, and they mentioned that it could be a food allergy, and we should look into changing her diet. We were excited about trying something new. She was at the vet again this week, to get more antibiotics and dewormer, to give the treatment yet another go, but they also gave us prescription dog food to give her some electrolytes. This time, we just gave her the dog food, but after 2 or 3 days of new food, she still has diarrhea. She's back on dewormer treatment, and we'll start the antibiotics after this, but has anyone run into this? Any other ideas?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Did you introduce her to the new food gradually by mixing some with her old food, and then increasing the amount until she was only getting the new food? Sudden introduction to a new food can cause stomach upset.

Did the vet say why she's being given so much dewormer? As a rule, once the puppy has been dewormed and, is on a heartworm preventive such as Interceptor which also prevents other worms, there isn't that much need for a dewormer.

Our Spook has a problem with regurgitation because of pyloric stenosis, and for a few days I fed him rice with boiled chicken breast which is good for vomiting and diarrhea.

Good luck, and do keep us posted.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know which type of food Molly is on now, I also don't know what tests the vet ran on her those times you took her to him.
I found this "article" online, some of the questions there you gave us answers to, but non of us are vet here and can only make assumptions.
Personally I would take Molly to a different vet to see what they have to say. Also, it may very well be the food she is on, the new food may not have solved the allergy or she is allergic to more than one thing :conf12:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
couple more details: She's been on the same food, Royal Canin, since we got her. She's had several tests for parasites, but all have come back negative. The doctor said that sometimes they have worms (in this case they think Whipworm), but they don't show up. Thats why she's getting the worm treatment. The treatment is supposed to kill several kinds of worms.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know, something doesn't feel right.

Matt, I think you should take her to another vet. Don't tell him at first what the other vet said about it, so the new vet has his own diagnosis to Mollys problem.

Isn't she getting weak from all the diarrhea?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I heard a spoonful of can pumpkin mix up in the food will treat diarrhea.
The problem is, the can is pretty big, and you will need only couple of spoonful, don't want to throw it out later?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an update: We fed Molly 3 days of the canned I/D food from the vet, and 3 days of a bland rice and chicken mix. It appears that things are clearing up. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if we have a couple more days of this, It will appear that she has a food allergy, as a food change is all we have done in the past 2 weeks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's great Matt. Keep us posted on the final conclusions... I do hope it will end with only food allergy. I know many many dogs with food allergies, that just get their own special food and treats, and keep on being happy go lucky doggies... :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts