Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is Bernie doing this week?

Sadie is doing real well. Although I am still giving her the Rimadyl (anti-inflammatory pills) twice a day. (at least we are off the Prednisone) I tried to drop the Rimadyl down to just 1 a day, but she is a bit stiff in the mornings that way. So I will keep this up and try to drop it down to 1 pill next week. She is running and sniffing all over the yard normally. I am still holding her back by making her come in to rest often and stop her from jumping.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That is good news!

I'm glad she is feeling better. Maybe she will feel less stiff as the weather gets warmer and you can decrease the Rimidyl.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
well, bernie seems to be slipping back a bit.
he was doing real good in his hind legs, but these last 3 days, he seems to be going backwards not forwards.he hes went from a slight wobble, to being a little drunken in the hind legs. he cant balance himself to hike and pee anymore. he was doing really well with that. ok, im scared again. very scared. i called UGA and talked to a doc. not his surgen though. he said to keep an eye on bernie and go back to the full extreme limits he was on just after his surgery. he said that bernie might be over doing it a bit, and might need to chill. he was proud to hear bernie had lost some weight too. i gotta call monday morning to set up a follow up appointment with his surgen anyways. he said its possible that bernie is going backwards, but not probable. he says theres just a very good chance that bernie is over doing things a bit.(with dads help)
so we are back to only short controled walks to pee and poo, no more of his very short (20 yrds from the house max) walks. out and in, thats it.
no more coming out to see dad in the evenings for the 10-15 minutes i was allowing him, and to have his dinner outside of his kennel. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif no more hiking to pee either.
so, thats where we stand at this very moment.
any comments or suggestions anybody?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it is extremely hard to hold them back when they want to walk and run, etc. Believe me I know. I would be very interested to see what your surgeon says when Bernie goes in for his follow up visit. He probably has over done it a bit. Is he taking any anti-inflammatory meds now? If he isn't, that could help. Let us know when the visit is scheduled to go and see the surgeon. If it is far off maybe you could take him to see your local vet for an intermediate visit. I'm sure the surgeon knows what he is talking about so try not to worry too much until you can get in to see him and cut back on Bernie's activity. Keep up the good work Bernie and Bernie's Dad.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Cutting down on the activity and calling the doctor are definetely what I would have done.

If he is having a hard time standing to do his business, maybe buying or devising a make-shift sling.

I know they sell them...mesh things that fit around the legs and basically support the torso that have handles on the dog's back for the humans to hold...almost like a suitcase. The dog can still "stand" but has support and help from mom or dad.

If it sounds like something Bernie can use, google it up for a picture and maybe you can make a home-made one with an old sheet or pillowcase or something. Maybe even google up "home made dog support sling".

Or does Bernie already have one?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
bump again.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My turn to bump.....

Glad to read the updates on Sadie (still in my prayers)
...and Bernie will get extra prayers this evening, as will his dad. whew.

Thanks for the updates guys!

·
Registered
439 Posts
:thumbup:
my day off this week im gonna try again
to learn how to post pics. if it dont work
im throwing myself at beaglebabes feet. oh, and no matter what she tells you folks, i wasnt that pitiful. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
and thank you so much for the prayers. it means more to me than you'll ever know. it feels good to know that folks can care enough about a total stranger to do so. again, thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts