Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick update on Millie....we replaced the cage that she destroyed on Monday. She actually ingested the comforter filler, so when she didn't poop for a few days, off the vet we went. Right before we left she finally pooped, which worked out because they needed a sample to check the parasites.

The parasites are gone, they took her stitches from her spay out, and tomorrow or Tues. she'll get another bath. (We can actually see the dirt ground into her skin where she was shaved on her belly.)

I did get her a kong and did the frozen PB thing. It worked for a bit, but she must have ended up having another tantrum because there was pee outside of her crate. Not where she had squatted, but where she had obviously been in a tizzy and urinated in the process. So the quest for time away from her w/out drama continues.....

Oh! Since we have to take her everywhere with us right now, we went to the summer ice cream drive-through on the way to the vet. I had my son and niece, who are 5 and 7, so I got them treats to eat on the way to the vet's office. Needless to say, I couldn't let Millie watch us eat our treats w/out giving her one, so she got a baby vanilla soft-serve cone. TOO CUTE! She licked all the ice cream and kept trying to get the rest of it in the bottom of the cone. Finally she figured out to eat the cone itself, and was in heaven. A baby cone at this place is about 3 human bites, so it's not much, but a nice little summer treat for her nonetheless.

Now for my question:

She is currently on an antibiotic as pre-treatment for her heartworm. They also gave her an Interceptor tab last week, but I need advice. I looked it up online and it says NOT to give it to a dog that's been diagnosed with heartworm.

Now I'm concerned and confused. Any ideas as to why she was given the Interceptor tab after the diagnosis? I'm a little freaked out to begin with about the HW, now I have to add this into the mix. I haven't even mentioned what I read about the Interceptor to my hubby, he'll be a mess, so I'm asking you here at BW for your input.

jennifer

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Millie is a lucky girl to find a family so willing to work with her separation anxiety and heartworms. You're angels on earth. :angel:

As for the interceptor question: call the vet and ask; it will calm your concern to find out what their protacol is! No question is dumb when it comes to our pets, and we have to be their advocates (mistakes are humanly possible even by the most careful health provider)

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It is confusing. I'll tell what I know.

I have also been told that a dog who is positive for heartworms should never be given preventative because in a worse case scenario, the med can kill any live worms then the dead worms will embolize and go into the lung. (pulmonary embolus).

But...

Many dog rescuers with limited resources will give heartworm preventative to mild cases of heartworm positive dogs for just that effect...to (more cheaply) kill the worms. If this is the option that they take, it is important for the dog to be on crate-rest just like they would be for the vet treatment so that their will be less damage from a worm embolus.

Does this make sense? The "cheaper" treatment should only be in mild cases...that is what I understand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Deb and Ginger. I haven't had the chance to call the vet yet, but will do so this afternoon. I just have a sick feeling about having given her that Inceptor.....

jennifer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up...

The vet asked me to come in Thurs. morning so she can go over Millie's exact treatment. She said not to worry about the Interceptor--the company that makes it must cover their butts, hence the dramatic messages on their web site. She also said that there is no need to limit Millie's activity until April 16th, which is the official day we begin treatment. I've already been told I'll have to leave her there for the day so she can be kept calm and monitored for problems.

So, that's where it stands. I told the receptionist that I just panicked, thinking I'd been doing this all wrong. There's just been so much going on with her since the minute we picked her up from the pound that her heartworm treatment was "down the road" after we got everything squared away. I'll get the final run-down on Thursday.

Thanks for talking me down, ladies! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jennifer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts