Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is still very nervous, but I may have figured out part of it...... possibly.

First off, I signed her up for obedience class which starts in March.

I have noticed her fear is based on the home, whether it be walking too loud or dishwasher, tv, dryer....basically any household noise, the back door and gate as well.

Now I hope I do not upset anyone, but I am a wildlife artist (taxidermist). I noticed she looks up at my husbands deer quite a bit, and is pretty nervous with any mount. I am at a loss as to how to get her over that? I do not force her in the garage, but did get a baby gate to keep her with us in the evenings in the living room. Overall she is fine with it.

Tonight she was terrible. I could not get her in from the back yard. She will walk right up to the neighbor with no hesitation. (that is how I got her in)

Why would she be afraid of my husband and I? When I went in the yard she was running around wanting to play acting like a brat. Lesson learned no more back yard freedom until she learns to come. I am getting mixed messages from her. She either acts in terror, or acts like a spoiled brat who will not listen.

Do you think keeping her on lead until she minds is the best thing for her at this time? I appreciate everyones advice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
wow... youre describing Glover there in the back yard... lol

I honestly let him run riot out there untill he wears himself down, I call it the night time zoomies.

I cant really give you any advice sorry but Im sure youll get some from the others here though!

xx
K

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe the smells make her nervous... after all she is a beagle so her sense of smell is very very developed, and the different chemicals and sights of the stuffed (for lack of better term) animals around make her just uncomfortable. I don't remember how old she is and on what circumstances you got her, but maybe in time she will get used to it.

You can try introducing the new creations to her slowly and treating/praising her when she reacts with no fear... leashing her to you, and gradually letting her in the working studio can be a good idea. Just keep on acting normal and try not to sympathize to much... business as usual!

How did you get to be a taxidermist?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Its just disheartening when your dog readily goes to a stranger, then another comes over and she lays next to him. For some reason she is avoiding us, but then again last night she was giving me kisses.

She wasn't this nervous when we got her and actually it has been on the decline since she was spayed. Her new thing now is not wanting to sleep with us in bed anymore.

I don't know her age either. The pound said 4ish. She was adopted for 3 weeks then returned. No info prior to that. I imagine a stray.

Anyhow, this morning is a trip to the pet shop. I am getting her a good long lead to I can have control of her all the time.

Cloes mom - I just decided to try taxidermy. After that I met an older gentlemab who actually taught me, which I am grateful for....The rest was history! LOL

Oh! My husband thinks another dog is the best thing for her. I don't want another dog until she is "mostly" stable. I told him on Cesar's show untability would make the new pup unstable as well.

My goal in the end would be to get a pup. I think she would enjoy looking after someone. At the moment she likes other dogs but is very jealous.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The need for stability before getting a new dog/puppy is understandable. I personally think it's the right way to think.

Maybe once she is more relaxed and you see that the "decline" has faded, you can start considering another one. I would also suggest that if you consider a rescue, take her with you and introduce the "possibilities" to her outside the kennels. A puppy is a whole different story, as they are very unstable, jumpy and constantly on the move...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree that smell has something to do with it. All animals know the smell of death. And as a wildlife artist, you deal with it daily and with the chemicals that are associated with it.

Give her time. She is still very young.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
I would also suggest that if you consider a rescue, take her with you and introduce the "possibilities" to her outside the kennels.
I think I am going to stick with a pup. Sweetie gets car sick. Vomiting and peeing.....My car can't handle another episode. LOL!!!

I think the chemicals are part of it, but initially it didn't bother her. She just plain has me stumped. She LOVES playing with deer hide so you think she would like going in there. My JoJo didn't mind at all.

This morning I hooked her up on her harness for our walk. She was shaking terribly. I guess that is another negative anxiety that has recently started.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do your mounts loom over her? I don't know if that could be an issue...maybe? Don't feel bad my dog tends to go to my boyfriend over me any day.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Rhea MIGHT have something there - I know my "Lottie" (a rescue) is frightened of things overhead - if you reach DOWN to pet her she cowers - and won't come for a treat if it's offered while we're standing. Our little rescues often come with some major issues - that take a lot of patience to overcome. Lottie has been here almost 3 years and STILL cowers at loud noises and sudden movements. Since she likes to play with deerhide, perhaps if you could put one of your mounts down on the floor where she could "sniff it" and see that it's not dangerous? Who knows with these beagle brats! Good luck with her - whatever you try.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds like she has alot of baggage and in time all will come out. Its just patience (which it seems like you have).

I would definately let her see and smell what you have hanging. We had balloons on our mailbox and one of mine was so scared until I brought them down to her level and let her smell them, then she was fine.

Good luck with her. :wave:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As I was reading your post I thought the same thing as magnoliablossom, beaglesmom and pfr - if the mounts are looming over her that definitely might have something to do with why she is scared of them. Popcorn is definitely more scared of things hanging "up above" - like people's Christmas wreaths hanging in our hallway and balloons we had for a friend's birthday once.

And the backyard brat behaviour sounds just like our middle beagle Moose at the dog park (we don't have a backyard but I suspect it would be the same there). I won't take him off leash there when I am by myself anymore because he absolutely refuses to come to me when I call him to leave and it all becomes a big game to him. But he will come to other complete strangers - which is the only way I have been able to get him back in those circumstances.

Good luck with Sweetie. It sounds like you are doing everything right and it is just going to take time. It also sounds like Sweetie has a mixture of fear issues and brattiness issues - in our case they came in two different dogs but you get a two-fer! Our rescues can certainly demand a lot of patience from us, can't they...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts