Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note to let everyone know that my baby seems to be holding her own, thank heavens.
She's been on Feldene for the TCC since Monday, and seems perky and happy, almost like her old self. We're still struggling to get that Urinary Tract Infection cleared up, and that is concerning because she still has a lot of blood in her urine.
She now has quite a drug cocktail to take: Trilostane for her Cushings disease twice daily, antibiotic for her UTI twice daily and Feldene for her cancer once daily! Plus now I have to add Pepcid because the Feldene seems to be bothering her tummy some. Of the 3 meds, the one causing the most problem is the antibiotic. It is huge, and she is very resistant to taking it. For some reason, Miss Shiloh has suddenly decided that she doesn't like Mighty Dog anymore--that is what I've been hiding her Trilostane in for 4 years.
Now she only will take her meds if I hide them in canned cat food!! But that doesn't even work very well with the antibiotic. She just spits it out!! Pill pockets don't work, hiding it in cheese or bread (her 2 favorites) doesn't work. I've had to resort a couple of times to giving it to her by hand the way the vets do--which seem to work much better for the vets than for me!!

The vet says that since she seems to be responding so well--to the cancer med anyway--he sees no reason why I can't take her to Alabama as planned. (I think I mentioned that hubby and I have a little snowbird house and this will be our first trip.) So we're continuing with our plans to leave on Monday to drive down. This will be Shiloh's longest car trip by far, and we will probably have to take a lot of potty breaks for her. So we probably won't get down there till sometime Wednesday. I don't have a computer setup down there yet, but will be in touch as soon as I can to let y'all know how things are going. Please keep us all in your thoughts.
Thank you for all your concern and prayers for Shiloh. Please keep 'em coming!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So glad to get a good update on Shiloh -- I have been thinking a lot about her. Please try to relax a bit in Alabama. By the way, the cheapest Pepcid original I have found is at Publix in a bottle of 60 of the generic (famotidine). I think you can find Publix stores in Alabama.
Take care and gentle hugs to Miss Shiloh!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm glad the meds seem to be working for Shiloh. Walmart has a generic Pepcid I believe that is the same thing if there's a Walmart near.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Thanks for the update Genie! That's great news that the meds are working for Shiloh, and that you'll be able to go on your trip. Will continue to keep her in thought and prayer!

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Genie, both you and Shiloh will be in our thoughts. have a safe trip.

Andy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm happy to hear that Shiloh seems to be responding well to her meds. I've been thinking about you both and hoping that she was doing well. I'll keep sending happy thoughts your way. Try to enjoy your trip down to Alabama.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glad to hear that Miss Shiloh is doing so well. Good thing that she has people who care so much about her. We usually have to give Squeegee pills in cheese and then hold his chin up in the air so the pill has nowhere to go but down his throat. He still sometimes manages to push it out the side but this usually does the trick. Prayers and Beagle kisses to Shiloh.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mom of 2, Shiloh has bladder cancer. She's had several urinary tract infections in the past year or so, and this last one just wasn't clearing up. Then last weekend, after Christmas, she became very listless and wouldn't eat at all, and you know how un-beagle like hat is! I took her to the vet on Monday and he examined her urine sample, then did an ultra sound and found a very large tumor in her bladder. It is inoperable, but we hope that the medication she's on will help to make her more comfortable, maybe shrink the tumor a little, and buy me a few more months with my precious baby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts