Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! Good news is that Maggie has put on a pound -- bad news is that her immune system is failing due to the Cushings Disease. She just isn't able to fight infections. Last month she had a widespread staph infection -- now it is a yeast infection around her mouth, her eyes and all over her torso. I am bathing her with Malaseb shampoo followed by Relief cream rinse. This morning the vet prescribed a cream for her eyes that has some cortisone in it and we resorted to a low dose cortisone shot today as well (not supposed to use cortisone with Cushings' pups ...). The vet is scrubbing her face when it gets really bad with a sulfa wash -- unfortunately, I am allergic to sulfa so can't use it at home. I have ordered an anti-fungal drug on-line (exhorbitantly expensive locally ...) and hope that will help when it arrives. The ketoconazole Maggie was on for the Cushings was also an anti-fungal medication but, unfortunately, she lost her bowel control when she was on it. Here are some pics of my baby's still beautiful face -- all the gray stuff is the infection -- it gets very crusty and it takes two people holding her very, very firmly to get near her for treatment:

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? I just feel so bad for her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, Sweet Maggie, you deserve a break, and so does your mom! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I can't offer any suggestions about the yeast infection, but will send up some prayers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Aw, poor Maggie! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
I wish I could help, but I've only had to deal with minor ear infections.
You're a good Beagle Mama, Judy. :angel:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judy, I know your pain. My Amber girl used to get skin infections all the time. She'd get yeast & Staph infections on her body and constant yeast infections in her ears. I had to clean her ears every day. I used Chlorhexiderm shampoo on her for the skin infection and had to clean her ears out every day. She was given Cephalexin (I think!) 500 mg. for it as well. We struggled with this for a long time. I don't remember all the details too much anymore. I do know that we did do Cortisone shots for her discomfort. At this point, her vet felt that Amber's comfort was more important than anything else.

I don't think that I offerred much help. Just know that I can sympathize. Give Maggie some belly rubs and kisses from me and Jersey.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
that sweet girl has just been through so much...I have not had this experience but I sure hope the mail order stuff helps.

Big hugs from Sammy and I :heart:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Judy, Our thoughts are definitely with you and Maggie! When I got Ginger, she was COVERED with a yeast infection, especially around her neck. The vet sent us home with the Malaseb, which she bathed with once a week /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif , and the infection slowly cleared up. Her ears are still not 100%.
I heard that a treat, along with five minutes of belly-scratching does wonders. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Maggie has been through so much, I wish more than anything that you two would get a break...finally! I keep both of you in my prayers.

You are an awesome beagle mommy and she is such a sweet girl :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your kind thoughts! Jamie found a couple of great sites with info about using apple cider vinegar (both internally and externally) to treat dogs' yeast infections. Going to do some reading today and see what I can incorporate. One suggestion is to check the dog's ph level so am going to pick up some sticks to check it -- expect that it is quite a bit off normal. She is not scratching so much today so I think yesterday's cortisone shot helped a bit. Her eyes still look really yucky but, again, she is not rubbing them as much so cream helping in that regard. Have her next vet vist set for the 25th to do another chem panel -- if she is still having as much difficulty with the yeast, she will get another cortisone shot and a face scrubbing. Like Jen's experiences with Amber (who also had Cushings), I am at the point that I just want Maggie comfortable and my vet supports that 100%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just wanted to comment on the use of apple cider vinegar! Our Socket has had chronic yeast infections in his ears for the past 3 years. We had tried every single vet remedy or medication possible, along with cleaning his ears regularly, and nothing seemed to help.

We began giving him 2 tbsp of ACV on his food a day and since then, he's been ear infection free!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If you're going this route, I recommend starting off the dosage of ACV small to help the dog become accustomed to the taste of it and then increase to the 2 tbsp.

Good luck, I really hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a friend who swears by ACV - I can't offer you any suggestions, but do offer healing thoughts to your little one. My heart goes out to you both.
Big hugs to you,
Glenda 'n the pack

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, folks! Well, Mags had her vet appointment this morning. Her face was so bad that he decided to do a skin scraping. Reason it looks so bad? In addition to the yeast infection, she has "generalized demodectic mange". Vet even showed me the creepy, crawly mites on his video screen -- I really wish he hadn't! This is uncommon among older dogs except for those with compromised immune systems like Maggie. Treatment is daily ivermectin (heartworm medication) and vet said he thought she would be on this for the rest of her life -- hopefully, it will calm down but it might well get worse in other areas. Here is a website that has a picture of the nasty bug and a good description of disease: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html.
Okay, some good news: vet does not think that Maggie has dementia (which I posted about in another thread). He is confident that her symptoms are from feeling lousy and/or her meds. We are stopping the yeast med that I got from up north -- it is not helping and she has started to get side effects (diarrhea/stomach upset). She had stopped eating her food mix and will only eat the plain ground beef. She has actually lost 2 lbs. since her last visit two weeks ago -- she is down to 22 lbs.
Keep those healing thoughts coming -- I know they will help Mags feel better!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Thanks for the update Judy. Glad to hear that at least there was some good news mixed in with the bad (and icky, in the case of the mange) in that the vet doesn't think Maggie has dementia. Hopefully the change of some of the meds and treatment of the yeast infections AND the mange makes her feel better, too. You and Maggie both deserve to have some good things happen for a change...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good that the vet doesn't feel that Maggie has dementia. I know you welcome any good news. Sweet Maggie, I wish you and your mom could catch a break. Prayers continue to go up for both of you.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
poor thing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I sure wish there was something that could clear this up for Miss Mags.....

will continue to pray for you both .....

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My heart aches for Maggie and you; such dedication to your sweet girl and her welfare....I'm praying for a good week for you both. :heart:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My heart aches for both of you - sending healing thoughts for Maggie and BIG hugs to you! Even tho I have 10 beagles, when something is wrong with any of them, I'm a WRECK - so can't even imagine having an "only" one to worry about!
BIG HUGS to you both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts