Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by gingersmom:
Cleo is 6 months. I loved the way beagles look. They are so cute. I saw her and wanted her once I met her. I know not much about Beagels at all. Her breeder told me she was a Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagle. What that means I dont know...but she was so cute and sweet that I wanted to make her my baby girl.

I have a appt to have her spayed tomorrow so I will keep it. I dont plan on breeding...i would not even know what to do lol. I only have tried PB with the kong. I will try veggies next.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
There are a lot of pros & cons as to wether a pockett beagle really exist anymore.
Quote: "Pocket beagles were very, very small beagle popularized back in the days of Queen Elizabeth I. measuring 9 inches at the shoulder, and Paintings of the time show these beagles to be short-legged and somewhat pointy nosed. In the days of Edward II and Henry VIII, even smaller beagles, referred to as "glove beagles" because they were small enough to to be held in a gauntlet, were much in favor with the Royal Family. However, today, while there may be a few really small 13" variety beagles which may approach heights of around 10", they are not a breed or variety of beagle as such, and are not recognized by either AKC or UKC. Quite often beagles of this size are often only short by virtue of shortened legs caused by poor breeding or the dwarfing of chondodystrophy (see the Health problems page) with it's ensuing health problems. It must also be noted that many times it is impossible to predict mature size of a puppy, even when both parents are under 13". Birth weight may be a good indicator of final size, as is size at around 8 weeks, but they are no means reliable. If you want a beagle that will be small get one at around 9 months when the dog has pretty well finished growing, or from a breeder who has never produced an over 13". In this way you will have a much better chance of getting a small dog. However, be also aware that usually the smaller the beagle, the more hyperactive it is. But, there are exceptions."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.