Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I wanted to give you all a update on my princess. First..after 3 days of having her we changed her name. lol she is now Cleopatra but we call her Cleo. Ginger just didnt fit and she responses better now to this name...plus it fits her. I took her to the vet and she is in great health. they wanted me to spay her and I dont know if I should of not.

My questions are...

1. Do I have to get her spayed? Is it in her best interest to do it?

2. Do I have to buy the PB Kong stuffing treats at the store or can I use jar peanut butter.

3. The edges of her ears are brown like on her face..will it spread and change color over time?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Cleo is a great name!!
About your questions:
I think it's in her best interest if you spay her, that is of course if you are not planning in breeding her (and I have an entire theory about that too, if you want - I'll share). It prevents uterus infections and reduces the chance they get breast cancer (there is a canine version of that one too unfortunately). It also saves you the trouble of protecting her from getting pregnant, dogs barking and trying to mount her, the blood, and mood swings (yes, that too).

You don't have to get the PB treats, you can use a jarred PB (that's what I do), but I also stuff the kong with lots of other things: meat, vegetables, cheese, other treats, yogurts....

Her coloring will probably change, lots of beagles change colors (to the point they look nothing like they did as puppies). They tend to get lighter, black turns to brown (not all over though), brown to yellowish brown....

She is very very cute :heart:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi and welcome to BW!!!

Cleo is precious, how old is she?

About the spay, if you don't plan on breeding her, I would have it done. Health concerns I'm not sure what they are, but she won't mess in the house or go through cramps. (I'm sure someone else can tell if there are health concerns)

I fill my girls Kongs with regular peanut butter and freeze it. It will last a little longer and if you want you can get the store brand PB.

Most likely she will get more brown.

Enjoy her and keep the pictures coming....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleo is 6 months. I loved the way beagles look. They are so cute. I saw her and wanted her once I met her. I know not much about Beagels at all. Her breeder told me she was a Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagle. What that means I dont know...but she was so cute and sweet that I wanted to make her my baby girl.

I have a appt to have her spayed tomorrow so I will keep it. I dont plan on breeding...i would not even know what to do lol. I only have tried PB with the kong. I will try veggies next.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cleopatra is a wonderful name. She'd make a great companion for Caesar /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

When we got Caesar he was mostly black with some brown and white on his face and legs. Now he just has a black "saddle" on his back.

I think I read somewhere that there isn't actually a pocket beagle. She's probably a 13" beag. Some of the other BW members will know more about the beagle specs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I love her name. it fits her well.

everyone here has given you good advice.
i would agree with everyone.

as for the kong. I also freeze store bought pb in it. i put treats at the top then a littlel pb then freeze it. it really does last longer if you freeze it.

and for coloring. My boy is 8 weeks and the tips of his ears are already turning brown. and his face is more brown around his eyes as well.
he is changing so fast

but i cant wait for more pics she is so cute. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by gingersmom:
Her breeder told me she was a Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagle. What that means I dont know...but she was so cute and sweet that I wanted to make her my baby girl.
Well, there are a few different "types" of beagles, and when I was looking to get Chloe I saw pocket beagles. they are a breed within the beagle breed. They are a little shorter than the 13" (someties grow to only 8-10" in height) and have shorter legs, but they sure are as cute as the other beagles... :heart: :heart:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your great and much needed advice. Cleo has her spay appt tomorrow. I drop her off at 8:30am and pick her up at 4:30pm. So she cant have any food or water for breakfast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You'll actually wish she didn't bounce back quite as fast. Trying to keep Scout calm was not easy. Basically around day 2 it was if the surgery never happened.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by gingersmom:
Cleo is 6 months. I loved the way beagles look. They are so cute. I saw her and wanted her once I met her. I know not much about Beagels at all. Her breeder told me she was a Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagle. What that means I dont know...but she was so cute and sweet that I wanted to make her my baby girl.

I have a appt to have her spayed tomorrow so I will keep it. I dont plan on breeding...i would not even know what to do lol. I only have tried PB with the kong. I will try veggies next.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
There are a lot of pros & cons as to wether a pockett beagle really exist anymore.
Quote: "Pocket beagles were very, very small beagle popularized back in the days of Queen Elizabeth I. measuring 9 inches at the shoulder, and Paintings of the time show these beagles to be short-legged and somewhat pointy nosed. In the days of Edward II and Henry VIII, even smaller beagles, referred to as "glove beagles" because they were small enough to to be held in a gauntlet, were much in favor with the Royal Family. However, today, while there may be a few really small 13" variety beagles which may approach heights of around 10", they are not a breed or variety of beagle as such, and are not recognized by either AKC or UKC. Quite often beagles of this size are often only short by virtue of shortened legs caused by poor breeding or the dwarfing of chondodystrophy (see the Health problems page) with it's ensuing health problems. It must also be noted that many times it is impossible to predict mature size of a puppy, even when both parents are under 13". Birth weight may be a good indicator of final size, as is size at around 8 weeks, but they are no means reliable. If you want a beagle that will be small get one at around 9 months when the dog has pretty well finished growing, or from a breeder who has never produced an over 13". In this way you will have a much better chance of getting a small dog. However, be also aware that usually the smaller the beagle, the more hyperactive it is. But, there are exceptions."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts