Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a good Easter. Lots has been happening in our household. You all always give such wonderful advice and encouragement so I figured I should post a little bit since I do need some help!

Oscar Update!
Oscar is transforming from a bashful beagle to a super fun very lovey playful little boy. He loves his toys and his bones. We gets so happy and excited when we get home from being out. He's brave enough to jump off the bed now and play on the floor. It's wonderful!

Advice!
We've been toying with the idea of getting another dog for the last few months. We check our local humane society website daily waiting for another Beagle to show up. They had an adorable pup recently but our landlord requires dogs 1 year or older. Last night I checked before bed and there wasn't any new dogs. This morning I got home from class and checked again, and I see a very cute beagle face staring at me on the screen. She's an 8 year old beagle that was found stray a week or so ago. She has an old fracture on her leg and is going in for surgery tomorrow. She is absolutely beautiful. Her face and eyes made our hearts melt. So we rushed to the humane society in between work and class to see her. Bringing Oscar with us. We was in love. The picture on the website didn't do her justice. They both sniffed and wagged and played a little but were fairly independent. She was jumping all over us and wagging and licking despite the big splint on her leg. We started filling out the paperwork, and if her surgery goes well she'll be ours!

My questions are:

What is the best way to introduce the dogs again in our home?
If there are territory issues between the two how do we best deal with it? (i.e. taking one away from the situation, scolding the growling dog)
If you've had experience bringing a new dog into a single dog home ... how long did it take until the dogs were happy around each other and wanted to sleep together and be friends?

Prayers!
Please say some prayers for our future beagle! She's going in for surgery tomorrow morning at 9:30. They are hoping they can fix the leg with a few pins, but there is a chance they may have to amputate. We'll love her just as much with three or four legs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Two beagles... One house... Nothing new here.

Oscar and the potential adoptee got along right? So, that is not an issue. As for how to bring a new one in, just do it. Keep in mind, she has an injured leg and might be defensive about it. Usually when a new dog enters a home with an existing dog, they sort it out. Its your job to keep blood shed to a minimum. Murphy and Summer got along well from the start, when he tried to bully her, she put him in his place. Sometimes a little too roughly though.

My advice: If you think you are ready, go for it. Just be mindful of her leg and Oscar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Murphy's Dad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Oscar adored her. And she was very sweet with him. He's laid back with other dogs and doesn't really push the playing so I think it will be a good match. He pouted all the way home when we left the humane society yesterday.

I'm so nervous about her surgery today. I hope they can make her comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Tami, that's wonderful news about how well Oscar is getting along!! And that's great that you want to give another beag a forever home. I'm sure as long as you're prepared for her recovery period everything will be fine. Especially since she and Oscar have already met and like each other. Our Humane Society requires that you bring along other dogs in the family to meet the new dog before adoption too. Before we got Shiloh, my son and I found a cute little dog at the Humane Society that he just fell in love with. We had 2 poodles at the time, and we had to go get them and bring them for introductions. My daughter had taken our Standard, Coco, for a car ride, so we took our little poodle, Misty. Misty was very nervous and just cowered in a corner, not interacting with the dog we wanted to adopt at all. So they wouldn't let us have the new dog, because they said that when Misty was in her own home with the new dog, she wouldn't accept her. Ironically, when we got Shiloh, she and Misty hated each other from the get-go!!
Anyway, Congratulations! Keep us posted, and we will certainly be praying that the surgery goes well and the new babe gets to keep her leg! And you know if you do get her, we have to have pictures!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Tami -- you folks really have been busy! So glad Oscar and the new pup got along so well -- they will be great buddies. Sending prayers your way -- hopefully, surgery is over and pup is resting comfortably.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope the surgery has gone well for the little beagle girl, and that she'll soon be home with you. Please let us know how she's doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always tried to introduce a new dog to the current dog on neutral territory. Calvin met Serena at a show and the new rode home together (crated) to get used to each others scent. When they are both at home, don't leave alone them together until you are sure they get along.

Good luck on the surgery and have fun with your now extended family!

·
Registered
439 Posts
i love hearing about folks taking in older dogs.
that shows your a god send. thank you for doing so from the bottom of my heart. i mean that.
most folks would just pasted that beagle right on up. but you did not. :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy:
again, thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Sounds like Oscar is gonna' be a wonderful brother. Bless you for adopting another beagle, especially one with 'problems' (always harder to place)

When I brought Maggie into the house, Calvin loved her quickly and vice versa. From the beginning she ruled the roost....and he didn't care a bit. (Such a sweet boy)

I can't wait to hear an update on her surgery. She's been added to my nightly prayers. :angel:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Her surgery was delayed until Thursday morning. I've been glued to my phone all day waiting for updates. Her x-rays today went well, they aren't going to have to amputate, just put in some screws to help stabilize things. She'll also be getting spayed. Big day for the little girl. I'm hoping we'll have her home on Friday and I will of course post lots of pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I'll be thinking of her and her worried new mom while I'm at work today :heart:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just heard from the humane society. Her surgery this morning went very well. They put a pin in her leg and they think that will help her. She was also spayed. Poor girl is going to be confused when she wakes up. She is spending tonight at the clinic and the humane society will pick her up tomorrow. I'm hoping we can bring her home tomorrow. I don't think I can wait any longer!!

We'll have a few tough weeks of recovery ahead. No stairs, running or playing rough on her leg. It's a good thing Oscar is laid back with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well for her (and you)... any ideas about names yet or do you need to get to know her first?

As for how to bring her home, we have made sure with both of our additions that the new arrival meets the other(s) on neutral territory rather than barging into the other(s) home... I know she and Oscar have already met but I still think it would make sense to either bring Oscar with you when you pick her up and then they can get more used to each other on the way home, or if that isn't feasible then at least have them meet outside your home and sniff each other a bit before going inside.

Good luck - and we look forward to hearing everything about the new arrival!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts