Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I k now this isn't really a welfare and health question but Im a bit worried and well annoyed..

Glover is barking more than usual at me now, it is a demand bark, he is demanding me to play, feed him, give him attention. The thing is I cant ignore this because of the neighbours.

I read somewhere here about someone shhhsing her dog worked so today I tryed that, Glover sat down in front of me, looked me right in the eye and kept barking. It wasn't untill I turned around that he stopped but he still was staring at me...

what can I do?!

x
K

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Have you tried turning your back at him and turning back to face him only when he is quiet? Maybe if you do that many times he will associate barking at you with being ignored.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Beagleicon.gif

This is something that must be solved on the behavioral level, not just because of the neighbors. He just cannot rule you that way!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Cesar Milan but do pick out bits and pieces of his training techniques to try with Mags -- one thing that does seem to work is the snake-like sound he makes to get a dog's attention. Impossible to describe here and not sure if you get his show in Australia. Sometimes Maggie will bark at me incessantly and, if I can't just shut the door to keep her out, I make that sound and she stops barking -- sometimes not for very long but at least it gives me a break. I am sure if I did it regularly it would work more consistently. The other training technique I use is hand signals -- I have always used them with her and, now that her hearing has deteriorated, they come in really handy. You might try a hand signal (of your choosing) along with the sound so he associates the two -- then reward when she stops barking. After a while he shouldn't need the treat.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes Judy, I have forgotten about that too. I should use it when Charlie goes berserk on the street when seeing another dog.
sssssst something like that hissing noice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I try the tsss noise Cesar Milan does, even that dominance thing, but again he just sits there and keeps barking.

What I have been trying is saying shussss and put my finger to my lips but it doesn't do anything, ignoring him makes it worse too.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know it's hard on you and on your neighbours but ignoring him really is the way forward. If it truly is demand barking then everytime you give him the attention he is seeking, even if it's negative attention, he has won. The more consistently you ignore the sooner he will realise that barking at you gets him NOTHING. Don't forget to praise the minute he stops and is quiet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: JenniferI know it's hard on you and on your neighbours but ignoring him really is the way forward. If it truly is demand barking then everytime you give him the attention he is seeking, even if it's negative attention, he has won. The more consistently you ignore the sooner he will realise that barking at you gets him NOTHING. Don't forget to praise the minute he stops and is quiet.
Ditto! I completely agree. You may not see the results in a day, and it might even take a week or two, but it WILL work. Give him attention on your terms, not his. That is why when he quiets down, and relaxed, then you give him the praises, treats and attention.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I simply turn my back on the girls, and they immediately sit and are quiet--no sound except their tails wagging. Of course, I do it right in front of the treat jar...and they know they have to be quiet to get a treat....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts