Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Charlie gets viciously unfriendly when he see other dogs during walks on leash. He is perfectly friendly in a dog park. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
Yesterday, this other dog walking pass us, I knew Charlie will go berserk, so I gave him the sit command. But that owner let her dog sniff Charlie, that did it! Charlie just lunged at him snarled teeth. Who can explained that? My friend said maybe he is protecting "me", I do not think so.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
When he is at the dog park I'm assuming he is "off" leash. But when you are walking him he's on leash.

This is the difference. When off leash he feels less threatened because he has the option of running away if he wants to. When he is on leash his options are taken away. He can't run away so uses the "fight" responce rather than "flight".

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Every dog is different and reacts to things in a different way.

What you are experiencing with Charlie is much more common than you think.

Charlie may have at some point be scared by another dog when on his leash. It may have been an incident that you didn't even notice because even the smallest things can upset them when they are at a young impressionable age.

When Rosa was a puppy she was scared by 2 huge German Shepherd guard dogs as we walked past someones house. These huge dogs came running up to the gate barking and growling. After that Rosa started barking at every dog she saw when she was on the lead but was fine when off.

It took me a few years to get her to be calm around dogs on a walk and even now she will sometimes have a go at a big dog but she's generally ok with small dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts