Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snoopy ate a pair of my underwear 2 days ago :S
she has done this before but always thrown them up.
I didn't actually SEE her eat them this time... but one minute they were there and the next they were gone...so i assumed she did because she looked pretty guilty. i'm HOPING that she didn't eat them THAT fast.. but i've been really worried ever since. there was no elastic in them.
I've been looking online as to what i should watch out for...she's been having diahrrea but she was before she ate them too :S She's been eating and going to the bathroom normally...but this morning she had TWO accidents at my work..which she never does... and she was just laying in her bed and started whimpering?!?
i just don't know what to watch out for as warning signs or what to do. i dont' want to take her to the vet unless i absolutely KNOW there is a problem because i can't afford it. anyone have any advice?!?!
thanks so much!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Could she have buried them somewhere? Our first beagle, Bilbo, used to run free and would steal washing, usually socks and pants, when our neighbour was hanging them up on the line. She never ate them but buried them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't want to scare you or anything, but a friend of mine just lost their Lab because he kept eating underwear. It was a family and they tried so hard to keep him from even getting ahold of them, but somehow he kept getting them and it eventually killed him. He was only 2. The underwear got all wrapped up in his intestines. I would keep an eye on him. If he seems sick in any way, I would take him in. My friend's dog got very, very sick before they even figured out what was going on. At that point, the vet bill will be a whole lot more.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh wow, never heard of a dog eating someone's knickers..lol. Hopefully Snoopy doesn't get sick from it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Call the vet, just to calm your fears. Both dogs have eaten things they shouldn't have and continued to eat, drink, pee and poo...until it became serious. Make sure that the vet knows about this pre-visit so he/she is prepared. You'll feel better.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would say call the vet and talk to them. It can be very dangerous when dogs eat things like that. A friend of mine has a Shitzu that ate some toy/fabric thing and it also got caught in his intestines. They thought they were going to have to do surgery but he fortunately passed it just prior.

I would say if she's eating/drinking/pooing and acting normal she's probably ok, but if it were me I would call the vet and take her in. I know it can be expensive but it's better safe than sorry.

Having said all that, I wonder also if maybe she buried it? Daisy LOVES socks and will sometimes run off with my fuzzy slippers, sneaking them outside. I know she will sometimes bury things as well. But, it would be very easy for the vet to do an x-ray and see if there are any blockages.

Good luck!! Prayers your way!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!
Yes i understand this can be a very serious issue!!! so sad

Anyways that's why I was concerned ! I just CAN'T keep her away from my underwear!!!
I'm pretty sure she didn't bury them ... she buries everything else... but THOSE she just chews and literally swallows WHOLE in a matter of minutes..it's like she just can't stop herself.
I'm very careful not to leave them around because this has happened a few times in the past and she has thrown them up... but somehow she still manages to get a hold of a pair every now and then.
My good girl friend is my vet's assistant, I talked to her and she talked to the vet for me.
He said that if she can keep everything down, is eating, drinking and pooping like normal, she will be fine.
Hearing that definitely eased my worry!!
My girlfriend's chocolate lab ate a couple pair and she never saw that he passed them but he was fine.
Just have to keep an eye out for any odd behavior and hope for the best! So far so good! thanks again

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WHOA!!!!
snoopy just threw up my underwear!!! like a week later :S
and didn't even gag - just... out they came!
wow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts