Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are picking up our 9 week old pup today, and we already know that she was born with an umbilical hernia. Just was wanting advise and experience with this. I know that there is a possibility of this going away over time, or can be fixed when she is spade. You guys got anything? I have not seen how big it is to determine if it's a more serious hernia, but I doubt it since I am getting it from a reputable breeder and his vet checked it out. Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe was born with that, and it was fixed when she was 2-3 days old, as the breeder had the dewclaws removed from the puppies' hind legs..

I say that the first time you take her to the vet for the puppy checkup (try doing that in the next 2-3 days), he will be able to tell you if it can wait for when she is spayed.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie also had one that was repaired before she came to me. As Eleanor said, you will be taking her in to your vet fairly soon and should be able to get more information then.
Congratulations on getting your new pup. You must be very excited.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Keep in mind puppies are very much like babies. In the very beginning they do sleep a lot. Like someone else said earlier, enjoy now while you can. She'll soon start spending more and more time awake and you will be wishing she still slept so much. lol

The hernia is probably nothing to worry about at all. A lot of them disappear on their own, but if you are having her spay surgery done, then have it fixed then if you are still concerned. The only time they can be an issue is if you are planning to breed her in the future and even then the surgery to repair it is usually sufficient to keep her from having issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was considering breeding her, but I think for her safety I am going to have her spade. I go to vet on Monday to have it looked at to see what he says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts