Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when we got Maggie on monday there was no mention of any medical issues well come to find out when we got her vet records she had cherry eye in one of her eyes, and now researching it usually when it happens in one it will eventually happens in the other. (we were at the vet today and there was no concern about her eyes besides a scratch we are using antibiotics for)

While lo and behold we went out tonite and we came home and her tear duct on her left eye is swollen and looks popped out GRRRRR. She got her antibitiocs again tonite and I even put a call in to the er vet, but eric massaged it back in and it looks slightly better so i guess well just wait till morning and call the vet again, hopefully we can just wait it out the wkend continue with the antis and see how it monday but well see what the vet says towmorro.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know much about the cherry eye condition but I think it's treatable with surgery? Not that you want to have to do that since you just got her, but at least it's an option. I totally understand getting a dog you think is perfectly healthy only to find out they're not. Hang in there!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah just a little frustrated becuase I feel like this is something that should have been told to us when we adopted her. It was in her previous vet papers (didnt get those until a day ago they were mailed to us) that she had one removed and alot of times if it happens in one eye it will happen in the other eventually.

It's fine if she needs the surgery well get it done but it would have been nice to have a heads up so it wasnt unexpected. Obviously we wouldnt bring her back we have bonded to her and so has max so shes her to stay. Glad i didnt buy that new bedset lol it will be going to maggies surgery instead...oh what we do for our beagles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and cherry eye is basically just a prolapse of their third eyelid (the tear duct). It is relativly common in beagles, it looks like inflamtion by the corner of their eye close to their nose. IT can sometimes be massaged back in but likely will need surgery to have it tacked back (or removed which you want to avoid becuase can cause dry eye). good news the surgery is pretty easy bad news it is costly.

Luckily shes already on an eye med with steriods becuase she has a scratch on her eye so the vet told us to keep using the meds in both eyes if i want i can try to massage it lightly with a warm wash rag and see if it helps. Shes going back in monday to get it checked out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts