Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man i will tell you after battleing with fleas there gone, Now he is chawing up my house, and nothing is stoping him, he chawed my pc speaker wires, my wood work, and much much more, and to top it off he loves to be sprayed with the Ice water bottle.He is pooping in my house and i take him out a dozen or so times a day.(for 45 min at at time) And i had to get a new key board he chawed my cord off it last night.he has also eatten all my flowers out of my flower box, and demoshed a green plant i had.

When i correct him he grawls at me and trys to bit me. Not playing bit or nip, Its im going to hurt you bit. When he does that i banned him to ower bath room for a time out.

Im at a loss, I am out of things to do. To get him to stop doing stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Plus i got a pic of him

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/xXCaLiStaXx/pup2.jpg

P.s i was looking at pepper spray at ower pet shop and they want all most 20 bucks for a small bottle. and i can't aford it right now, any help is great.

thanks
~Ash

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Oh my is he ever cute. I think he is just being a typical beagle.

When you take him outside for pee breaks, it should be for 45 minutes. It should be out, do your business and back in. He needs to learn that there is a time to play and a time to get busy.

As for the chewing, I say if you can't be watching him, then he should be in a crate or a safe room where there is nothing for him to destroy. Puppies get bored fast and when they do, they chew.

As for scolding, never scold him for peeing or pooping in the house. He is soon going to think that it is bad to so it at all so he won't do it in front of you ever.

Unless you catch him in the act of doing something bad, there is no point scolding him because he is not going to know what he did wrong. If you catch him in the middle of something, you can clap real loud or give a "HEY" to startle him. You shouldn't hit him if he is being bad, to me that will just cause aggression.

Puppies are puppies and take a lot of training, time and work. Good luck.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't mean to be rude... but WELCOME TO BEAGLE WORLD.... where the chewing never ends....
Chloe chewed up my laptop AC adaptor twice (each new one is $70+shipping)...
My couch, and you can see the rest in the "things your beagle has chewed on" thread....

I tried smearing hot pepper sauce on things (didn't help) and I'm working with bitter apple spray now (don't know yet how good it is)...

The only consolation I have is that he is teething, and it will pass (mostly)... they just love to chew... BE STRONG.

G-luck!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spence rlikes Bitter Apple. When he was chewing my door frame, I sprayed it on to keep him away. He went over, licked it off and continued to chew. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The two last posts are not very encouraging..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
I wonder what she is chewing today.... :greendevil:

·
Registered
794 Posts
do you have lots and lots of chewing toys? knotted ropes?
I have a chewer, too.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohh i don't hit him ever, If i catch him pooping on my floor i say hay, and put him outside to finish,

The safest room in my house away from cords is my bathroom, there is nothing he can mess with but a potty chair and 5 gallon jug. Unless he wants to tear down the show certains

Well if you guys beagles likes bitter spray then he sure will, i was thinking some Hot pepper oil. one bit of that, and he will stay away.Iknow how it feel to get the oil in my mouth and it is a remineder to me not to put my fingers in my mouth while i cook with it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Taurus Mom:
do you have lots and lots of chewing toys? knotted ropes?
I have a chewer, too.....
ohh yea i got balls, and ropes, and bones, and pull toys with balls at the end, and a animal stuff animal for him, and many many more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya can't beleave such a cutie can chaw the house down. I love his tan color, it only on his ears and face, and on his behind is a white strip /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just thought of this, but how about rubbing alittle bit of the rind of a lemon on some of the things he's chewing on. Its got to be the same as bitter apple....

·
Registered
112 Posts
My previous beagle Honey chewed on everything imaginable, and it got very expensive.

So I've been keeping a close eye on Beasley...So far I've been able to keep her away from damaging anything too badly, but I just know the second I turn my back, she will get into something she isn't supposed to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry about the chewing troubles but welcome to beagle puppyhood.

Housebreaking:
Absolutely start using a crate. It's a safe place for the pup when you're at the end of your rope of patience. You may have to start on a very regimented walking/potty routine. Once he does his business, praise him like there's no tomorrow and even offer a small treat. Bring him back home for a little playtime then put him in the crate. No matter how much he protests, ignore, ignore, ignore! Eventually he'll get the picture and either go to sleep or accept his den.

Chewing:
DO NOT USE PEPPER OIL!!! It's way too potent for a puppy's taste buds and you might even cause serious damage to his tongue if you use too much. Bitter Apple is worth a shot but there's only one sure way for it to be effective. This sounds cruel but I guarantee it works.

Soak a wad of paper towel with the bitter apple and while completely immobilizing the pup, shove the wad into his mouth and clamp down around his snout. he'll squeal and squirm like you never thought the little guy could. Be strong and keep the wad in his mouth a full 30 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but try holding your breath that long while swallowing pickle juice. I guarantee that when you remove the wad from puppy's mouth and he runs for cover, the next time he bites or chews, take the bottle of bitter apple out and just spray a little on the chewed object. He'll never forget that experience and the smell of the chemical will remind him to not chew where he smells bitter apple. I did this with Rio and broke her from chewing on things in a matter of weeks. Not to say you won't have a few minor set backs but the majority of the problem will be solved. Also, you'll need to keep a watchful eye on his every move. Left to their own devices, puppies will "investigate" everything they see and test it's strength with their teeth and jaws. It's just what puppies do.

Good luck!

Oh, get a small Kong and stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it. Give that to the pup for a few minutes of focused energy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Almost all these problems will subside as Ash gets older. Chewing gets better as the teething ends. We used bitter apple, and it kinda' worked. Jersey started to like it. My neighbors used cayenne pepper with their puppy. One chew was all it took and he never chewed their stuff again. There is another thread here about the things our Beagles have chewed. Check out Jersey's list. It's a good thing she's so darn cute!

As for the housebreaking, I agree with what the other's have said. Praise Ash like no other dog has ever gone potty outside before. Give him a treat immediately after he finishes his business. Give him a few minutes to go and bring him back in if he doesn't go. Jersey doesn't get to play or sniff around (other than sniffing to do her business) until she's done her business. I taught her the command "hurry hurry!" to get her to go. She's pretty good about going on command. I never thought that Jersey would housebreak. One day she went to the door and tapped at it to go out. I think she's had a half dozen accidents since then, almost all of which were a result of my own laziness (one was because it was raining and she wouldn't poop outside).

For the biting, Mike was great about teaching Jersey not to bite anymore. He taught her to fetch. Then, when she started playing rough and tried to bite us, we'd tell her to fetch. It didn't take her too long to learn that when she got all excited and wanted to bite that she needed to go get a toy. Our trainer told us to yelp like a litter mate would, but that just got Jersey more excited.

In the meantime, if you don't want it chewed make sure it stays out of Beagle reach. I kept my ironing board up for months, just to have a high place to keep stuff. And patience, patience and some more patience. There is an end to all this puppy craziness!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ash,those pictures of Razar are really cute ! Sorry the squirt bottle didn't work ! It worked really well for me ! One thind else I used a few times was dabbing a cotton ball with "Hot Sauce" and dabbing it on places where he returned to to chew. Shiloh has chewed my mouse wires but after a squirt he doesn't go back there any more. Shiloh has become "puppy excited" and jumped threw window screen,storm door screen,broke base panel out at bottom of stormdoor,riped 7 pair of PJ's(in one yr.)but I still love him and wouldn't give him up for anything ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
Makes you want to pull your hair out doesn't it!! Snoopy is now 6months old and he's a bit better but having said that we've got baby gates to close off the kitchen/family area and keep things out of reach ( our kitchen counter is the cleanest it's ever been now as we can't leave anything on it anymore!!
We've still got biting issues - mainly with the 5 year old and we've tried water bottle spraying him, getting our boy to feed/train him etc... but he's scared of him and doesn't really want to interact with him. A few times hubby has been at the stage of rehoming him again as it was just getting too hard always keeping him seperate from the kids etc...and if you lock him outside he disturbs the neighbourhood.
We keep telling ourselves that he will grow up!!! but sometimes he makes it very difficult to like him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts