Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my 3yr old is proned to getting staph infections - at least that is what my Vet indicated it was - she gets these small red marks on her belly and inner thighs that look sore for a few days then it looks like they are starting to heal but then become a sore again - she was treated for it last year with Baytril (?) and was just treated last month again, and now its back - she is constantly licking herself which I think may irriatate it more. And on another note - she has yellow stains on her hind legs which I cannot seem to get rid of no matter how much soap I use on her - on a recent trip to the groomer she said she would soak her in whitner to whiten her fur - but when I arrived to pick her up the groomer said it would take a few more times to get rid of it - the only thing she's seen that could stain that bad is pee.

Has anyone else had issues with this type of infection and Any suggetions on how to get her to stop; what I can only guess she is doing; rolling in pee?

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok now this could be far feched but I have type 2 diabetes . when my sugers are out of wack my urine will get dark yellow almost orange.

One time my sugers were so bad I got a little cut on my fingure and ended up with a major staph infection in my shoulder.

Is it posably for dogs to get Diabetes?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Im not sure about dogs, but in humans there is a Staph bacteria that is resistant to the 'typical' antibiotics, it is called MRSA...methacillin resistant Staph aureus....ask you vet about this...they should use an antibiotic to cover this.

good luck

Amanda

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeast and Staph are diffrent...

Yeast is a type of fungus and staph is bacteria.

Staph would be in an infected wound like if your dog got cut and would not be something that would heal and then reappear. Staph is very dangerous and carries all kinds of symptoms such as fever ect because your dogs body would be trying rid its self of the bacteria.

I am sure you pooch is suffering from some type of Malessezia dermatitis or yeast on the skin. Dogs have yeast as there normal flora (its there all the time). When yeast turns from normal to infection it is usually cause by some type of allergic flair up.

I would venture to say a topical cream and one of those lamp shade type things over there head (I have no idea what the technical term for that would be lol) would do the trick. Unfortunately Fungus are stubborn buggers and can take a while to get rid of.

I should not I am not a vet but work in a Microbiology Lab for humans. I culture, and identify all these sorts of things in a medical lab setting. Dogs get the same things as humans so the correlation is easy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the suggestions - I will definately be discussing this with her Vet on the next visit - I never thought about a yeast type of fungus.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts