Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

So, in the fall my parents are going to find Totti a new baby brother beagle. Now that we're starting all preliminary planning in getting him, one question I have is regarding putting them in the crate together or separate. We have a really big crate- three Totti's could fit comfortably- thanks to my boyfriend deciding to get the biggest one at PetSmart. Since there's so much room, we're not sure how good/bad an idea it is to put Totti and the new beagle in the crate together when we're all at work- they'd be alone max 3 hours a day.

And if that's a bad idea, do you recommend putting the new beagle's crate in the same or a different room? I'm open to any input that you have. Last time my parents had two dogs at the same time was in the 80s and back then my mom was a stay at home so they didn't use crates.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would use a separate crate for the new puppy. Firstly, the new guy may have an accident in the crate. Secondly, Totti's crate is Tottis comfort zone. Bringing a new puppy in the house is one thing, but imposing on Tottis personal space is another.

When we brought Charlie home, he got his own crate. His crate was next to Josies. When we were comfortable with them having free reign of the bottom floor, the baby gate/pen wound up sectioning off a while we are out dog area. Both crates are in there, doors open, they wind up sleeping in the same one now. That was not until after they got use to one another.

·
Registered
421 Posts
our two are 8 months old, and we crate them together. if we don't, one of them makes enough noise to draw everyone in the building. the last time i tried not doing it, i came home to the bldg super and 2 of my neighbors outside my apt, ready to go in.
they thought one of the dogs was hurt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My beagle is in the same crate as my dane puppy. The beagle is about 5 months old and the dane is 9 months old. I have a giant colossal crate (because I do have danes.) When we brought the beagle home, I did not have a small crate and was not prepared since he was found. He was first kept in a clothes basket because he was that small. When he outgrew the basket I put him in the crate with Tia. I tried putting him in his own colossal crate, but he screamed and screamed and screamed! He hated being alone, so back in with Tia he went. They love cuddling with each other.

I personally think that if they do not poo or pee in the crate it is fine to keep them together. I would not feed them both in the crate though. That could cause some problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is a bit off topic...but TwoLu, I would love to see a pic of your dane and the beag in the same crate! How cute

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally Posted By: *silleb*This is a bit off topic...but TwoLu, I would love to see a pic of your dane and the beag in the same crate! How cute
I will post some pics as soon as I figure it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts