Our Beagle World Forums banner

Two German Beagles Introduce Themselves

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Joe Johnston 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and our two little monsters Monty und Spencer.

My name is Heather, I'm 23 and live with my boyfriend Daniel in Germany (I'm originally from Oregon). I'm in graduate school studying occupational health psychology and Daniel works in the IT business.

And now for our dogs... we bought our first beagle Spooky about two years ago as a puppy, he was a really great dog and very well trained. Unfortunately he died of cancer at the age of 11 months.

After Spooky's death we decided to give a rescue beagle a good home, and that's how we came across Monty, who moved in with us at the age of 6 months. Monty (who is now 1.5 years old & intact) is a very lively dog with a good hunting instinct. Through training to redirect and control his hunting instinct we have made a lot of progress with him though, so that he is much better to handle when there are wild animals around.

A few weeks ago we rescued a second beagle, Spencer (a 2.5 year old intact male). He was given up from his prior family because his owner became chronically ill and couldn't take care of him anymore. He is the complete opposite from Monty - very calm and quiet and patient. The two are a really nice couple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Since Daniel and I are considering moving back to Oregon in a few years, I am very curious to read what the "Beagle Scene" is like in the states. I'm very worried that we won't be able to give our Beagles the same lifestyle that they are used to here.

That's Spencer (L) and Monty (R)

And that was our Spooky

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote: Your three dogs seem to have more squared muzzles than most of the beagles we see over here.
I've noticed that difference as well, not just in my dogs, but also in german beagles in general. The american beagles do seem to have more pointy snouts (also Spencer is also rather pointy, he comes from a bad breeder though).

#6 ·
Welcome Monty and Spencer, I am new as well. I have Miggy who was 12 weeks old yesterday. He is the first dog we've had in 30 years and he is absoultely wonderful! Beagles are love on 4 feet and the dogs and parents here at Beagle Forum are the creme de creme! They have been so supportive and helpful. You will really enjoy these pages. Good luck with your boys, let us see more pics.

#7 ·
Welcome to BW! How wonderful of you to give forever homes to two rescues -- thanks for sharing pics of them and Spooky. I bet Spooky is enjoying lots of treats looking down at you and thinking that you are really good beagle parents. I, too, have a rescue, Maggie who is almost 12 years old -- she has been with me for 11 years. Looking forward to lots more pics and stories!

#8 ·
Welcome welcome!! from over here in Iowa back home!

Well, I cant speak for anywhere else, but I know we personally dont have a "beagle groups" over here in Iowa, but I do love this website !!!

I will be a beagle lover no matter what anyhow-so keep us updated

By the way-GREAT pics-very beautiful pups! Two of my beags are "snoopy beagles" or black and white, they are father and daughter, then we got a stray/rescue a few months ago who is an intact litle male, about 1-1 1/2 yrs old who is tricolored and gaining weight slowly but surely!

Anyhow-welcome to the board!
Judi and the gang

#11 ·
Welcome, Welcome to Beagle World :wave:

So glad to have you here. I think you will find us a jovial, kind and caring group with lots of laughs thrown in for good measure.

Your boys are beautiful! So sorry you lost Spooky so young. Adopting rescues makes you tops in my book. :thumbup:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

#13 ·
Welcome to BeagleWorld from Vancouver BC! We have three rescue beagles and there are many, many other rescuers here.

I recalled noticing on Meetup.com that was quite a large and active Beagle Meetup in Portland - and indeed that appears to be the case.

http://beagles.meetup.com/41/

So if you are planning to be in Portland or thereabouts you may well have quite a full beagle-y social calendar!

#15 ·
A big welcome to BW. So sorry to hear about Spooky dying so young. Great that you now have two rescues, they are two lucky dogs. Nice pictures.
We also have two rescues, Susi who is 6 and Snoopy who will be 6 on the Ist April. They are both ex research beagles.

#18 ·
Thanks for rescuing your Beags. They lucked out.

The Beagle scene is alive and well hear. Most people don't understand our inqusitive hound friends, other than to acknowledge their cuteness.

I'm sure life on this side of the Atlantic will suit you and your family just nice. Although Germany is a beautiful country, life with a Beagle anywhere will be "heaven" in my opinion.

Hopefully you will settle near a place that has a dog park and have fenced yard to let the mini-pack run and play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.