Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been kicking around the idea of getting a second beagle. Probably adopting something a couple years old or so that is already housebroken. Our current beagle, Chica, sleeps most of the day and isn't very active. She usually does pretty well when left alone at home, especially if she is already upstairs asleep on her chair. On occasion she will get into the trash or eat whatever food she happens to be able to reach while we are out. Trying to crate her when we are out was an utter failure as she became extremely stressed in the crate. Eventually she tore up the lower latch so bad that it came undone and she squeezed out. We got her from another family at around 2 years old and I think they crated her improperly.

Anyway, one of the reasons we are thinking about a second beagle is that we are wondering if doing so might help with some of this behavior. If the dogs get along, we wonder if Chica might be more active. If we leave them alone, we wonder if she might handle it better since the other dog will still be there. If we got a new crate that was big enough, any chance that they might be able to share it? Maybe the other dog could help Chica do better while crated? Also, if we were to get a second beagle would it be better to get another female or would a neutered male be fine? We've had her around other dogs before and generally she has done pretty well.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We got our second beagle Moose because we thought he would encourage our first beagle Booker (who was 5 at the time) to play and be more energetic, since all she ever really did when not out on walks was sleep. And after we got Moose... all she ever really did when not out on walks was sleep! They play together once in a blue moon - so I can't say Moose's arrival really did anything at all for her energy level.

But I do think that Moose did make a difference to her stress level when we were out. Booker didn't have any evident separation anxiety symptoms before Moose's arrival, but she just seemed calmer overall once he arrived and they became a pack - and whenever we would leave them and come back they would be together on the bed or in the dog bed. And Booker did have the odd accident in the house when we were away before we got Moose - but NEVER again since his arrival six years ago.

I do think that you are probably making a good choice to get a neutered male as a second beagle with Chica - that isn't to say that two females will never get along, but it is probably somewhat more likely that they will coexist peaceful if they are of different sexes and not two dominant females (assuming that Chica is a dominant female). And I also think a slightly older beagle like you are thinking about for the second dog is probably a good idea, since a younger puppy might annoy Chica by being too much in her face and trying to make her play if she doesn't want to.

Good luck - and our second beagle worked out so well that a few years later we got a third, Popcorn!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: BookerMooseWe got our second beagle Moose because we thought he would encourage our first beagle Booker (who was 5 at the time) to play and be more energetic, since all she ever really did when not out on walks was sleep.
That pretty much describes Chica.

Originally Posted By: BookerMooseAnd after we got Moose... all she ever really did when not out on walks was sleep! They play together once in a blue moon - so I can't say Moose's arrival really did anything at all for her energy level.
Interesting. I'm not sure how Chica would respond. The two times that she has been around active dogs her behavior has been different with each. One friend of ours has a young, obnoxious yellow lab mix and she just ignores him. Another friend has a young Jack Russel terrier and when Chica is around her they chase and play until Chica is too tired to do anymore.

Originally Posted By: BookerMooseBut I do think that Moose did make a difference to her stress level when we were out. Booker didn't have any evident separation anxiety symptoms before Moose's arrival, but she just seemed calmer overall once he arrived and they became a pack - and whenever we would leave them and come back they would be together on the bed or in the dog bed. And Booker did have the odd accident in the house when we were away before we got Moose - but NEVER again since his arrival six years ago.
Have you found this to be the case if you happen to be away over feeding time? Chica tends to mess with the kitchen when she is left alone in the afternoons. Typically we have never had an issue if she is left alone in the morning.

Originally Posted By: BookerMooseI do think that you are probably making a good choice to get a neutered male as a second beagle with Chica - that isn't to say that two females will never get along, but it is probably somewhat more likely that they will coexist peaceful if they are of different sexes and not two dominant females (assuming that Chica is a dominant female). And I also think a slightly older beagle like you are thinking about for the second dog is probably a good idea, since a younger puppy might annoy Chica by being too much in her face and trying to make her play if she doesn't want to.

Good luck - and our second beagle worked out so well that a few years later we got a third, Popcorn!
Thanks for the input. I think now Chica is about 5. Sorry about missing that detail. One option for a second beagle I found in our area is a 3 year old neutered mail that is up for adoption.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The choice to get another dog (beagle or otherwise) needs to be run through Chica. Make sure they meet, and see how they react on neutral ground. Keep in mind, this reeaction may change once they are on her turf.

Murphy was a lone beagle until he was 6. We adopted Summer when she was about 1 year old. Summer and he got along well, like brother and sister. But like siblings, they fought too. So keep that in mind. Since Murphy's passing, she is lonely and now goes to doggie daycare to play during they day. The house seems very empty with just one.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We had 2 senior yellow labs when we got Duke a little over a year ago. In that year, we lost our oldest and Cassie has slowed down considerably. Knowing that we wanted to introduce another beagle into the pack before we loose Cassie, we searched for a female companion for Duke. Like you, we wanted an adult that was trained. As cute as Duke was as a pup, we never wanted to go through that nightmare again! LOL

We found our Violet and drove 3-1.2 hours to LA with Duke in tow to meet her. They got along great at the shelter and even better once we got her home. We've had her for a month now, and I swear you'd think she has lived with us her whole life and that her and Duke were litter mates. They play, play, play, play. It is constant and her energy level matches, if not surpasses Duke's!

It's been great for both the beagles and for Cassie and Phoebe (cat) as well because Duke isn't being as obnoxious with them as he used to be. It's also made Duke a better boy. Violet is very well mannered and Duke is following suit (somewhat). Duke is entertained, so he's not searching for something to entertain himself with and because Violet is such a cuddle-bug, it's made Duke more cuddly because he can't let Vi get more attention than he does.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We got Cobi when Chipper was 2 years old. Somedays they cooperated, somedays they fought, just like two legged children.
I wouldn't have it any other way, sure we are part of the pack, but yet, we aren't. I do believe, I caught them colaberating on trouble once in awhile. I believe the idea of them meeting in a nuetral territory is a great one, that is why we are meeting our new baby at a park, without his other pack members around.

Hope it turns out for you, I can't wait to pick Indy up.

Cathy J

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'll weigh in with our experience:

We got Henry as an adult rescue and 2 years later got Yodel, a rescue, at about the age of one.

It took Henry a little while to get used to having Yodel around, especially getting over some hurt feelings initially.

Now...they compliment each other well. They wrestle (we call it beagle-wrestling) outside and consequently, Henry has lost 3 pounds!

I wouldn't say that they cuddle although they do on occasion but they are very fond of each other and I expect that feeling to deepen. We've only had Yodel a little over 4 months.

I agree that Chica should have an opinion. And like has been said on BW a million times...beagles are pack animals. They prefer to have company rather than be alone.

Good luck.

Denise

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input thus far, everyone. As it turns out, Chica may be getting to express her opinion on a possible second beagle tomorrow. The foster mom of the 3 year old male I mentioned earlier is going to be up my way anyway and will be bringing the dog by in the afternoon. From what we have been told so far it sounds like he will be a good fit for us. We'll see if Chica agrees.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Chica finds a friend and another needful beagle finds a good home.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. The visit scheduled for last Sunday did not happen, so at this point we are on for next Sunday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new beagle is with us now. I will post about him in a new thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts