Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to finish the list of supplies for when I can pick up my puppy, but don't know what all to get. I've been doing a lot of reading, and still have over 2 months before i can take my beagle, but i decided to go ahead and start building supplies. This is what I have so far:

Styptic powder and nail clippers
Leash
Crate
Food and water bowls
Shampoo
Leash

I know I still need a collar, brush, and I'm getting a bunch of random chew toys, bones, and treats (and food, of course). What are some other things you all have that seem to be helpful in raising a beagle puppy? What foods do you use? I talked to the breeder, and she uses Pro Plan, does anyone have experience with that?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave:
Buy Bitter Apple! I can't stress that enough. It's a chewing deterant that you will need to spray on everything that your puppy wants to chew that he/she shouldn't chew. And there will still be lots of chewed cords, carpet, luggage, slippers, DVD's...(this is my list) Bitter Yuk also works. Lot's of toys and his/her own fluffy bed would be nice too. Congratulations, a beagle is an excellant choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I forgot to put that in the list, but I actually did already order it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I can't wait to move so I can get him/her. I'm still trying to think of names, but it may have to wait until I actually have some time with the puppy to figure out its personality.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Chris! I know how excited you must be...

One thing you might want to look into is a baby gate. You can pick that up from walmart in the baby section for around $10.00.

Seems like you have everything in order.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think so. I spent the last couple months looking at information from anywhere I could find it. This is my first dog, all my family has ever had was cats. It looks like I'm moving June 1, and that's how long I have to wait since I can't have pets where I'm at now. There are a couple things I want to wait to get until I see the new townhouse though. I'm not sure there will be anywhere that I can put a baby gate up. It's pretty open, so it might not be able to help. I'll just have to keep a close eye on everything. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you don't have a room to devote to him/her, you might want to consider an exercise pen. Just so that he/she has more room to play then a in crate, but is still not free to roam the townhouse. My Monty loves playing tug-o-war with knot ropes, and squeeky toys. And definatly kongs that you can fill with peanut butter! They are really tough, so they will last a long time without getting destroyed. Other then that, you sound really prepared!! Are you planning to take him/her to obediance classes? If you haven't had a dog, i'd highly reccomed it. It's a great way to learn to understand your pooch better, and lots of fun. Plus, they can meet other pooches and have play time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Congratulations again, you must be so excited!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm planning on it. I think I'll be able to let him roam around the basement and put a baby gate up at the stairs. It's a split level type house, so it's more like a ground floor than a basement. I think I'll only be using the crate until I have him potty trained, then he'll (or she) will have more freedom to roam around in dog-proofed areas.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You do not need to shampoo your beagle unless they get into something stinky. One of my beagles is 8 years old and has had one bath in his life. I would get a hound glove which is a mit of short rubbery nibs that grab the dead hairs. I found brushes useless. When your pup gets a bit older I found the furminator to be so great at getting out the undercoat.
Forget about cushiony pillowy beds for a while. It will become a teething toy in no time. Wait till your pup is about 1 years old before getting a bed. Use old towels for now.
Appropriate PUPPY chew toys are necessary. The pink and light blue kongs are specifically designed for puppies as well as Nylabone has gummy bones that are great for teething puppies. They are also flavoured to encourage chewing on appropriate toys and NOT shoes. Rope toys are good but make sure that they are too big to fit in their mouth. Fuzzy squeaky toys can become a bit of a problem as they feel an awful lot like couches and pillows and your pup can mistake them for a chew toy.
Look into insurance as it is cheaper if you start them as a puppy and can save you from having to make a very tough choice based soley on finances.
For food I would start your puppy off right on a high quality kibble if you can afford it. It actually does not end up being that much more expensive as you feed a lot less as there is almost no fillers and the puppy's body digests it better. If you can find Innova in your area, they use human grade food and you will be able to pronounce every ingredient and perhaps find most of them in your fridge (if you can't the puppy's diet is the least of your problems lol). Less fillers mean less poop too (huge plus when you have 5 dogs) and less chance of allergic reaction due to grains or fillers (most common allergy or sensitivity in dogs).
Get recommendations for great vets in your area from other dog owners. A good vet is indispensable and can really make first time dog ownership a really great experience.
If you don't know how to train a dog yourself source out great classes or trainers. It is so important to properly socialize your dog and it is something that if missed you will really regret later. It can mean the difference between a fear agressive dog and a well behaved socialized dog.
Good ear cleaner is absolutly necessary for beagles. Go to the vet and have them show you how to clean out the ears and what cleaner to use.
Do you have any pics of the pup yet? Post them as soon as you do so we can OHHHH and AWWWWW. Puppies are awsome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That information helps a lot. I've already looked into insurance for it as well. I found a couple that seemed to be pretty good, and not all that expensive. Someone at work has a beagle and just spent $1900 on a surgery for it, so the insurance seems like a great deal. I'll have to find out what vet she uses as well.

The ear cleaner is something I hadn't really thought much about. I'll be going straight to a vet as soon as I do get the pup, so I'll ask them to show me then. I read that beagles don't really need baths unless they roll around in something, i just figured I'd get the shampoo while I was getting everything else. I have the nylabone ring, is it too early to let him chew on dental bones and rawhides? I've got those, but I can just keep them in a cabinet or something until he's old enough.

Thanks for the suggestion on the food. That's what I've been wondering about the most. I actually found a store right by me that sells Innova, so I'll go over there before I pick up the pup. No pictures yet, unfortunately. That's going to have to wait until June when I move.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My rescue beagle Bagel has been with me for over 9 years and he has had one bath and two "hose offs" and a doggie spung bath. The bath was when he came home from the pound and he needed it. The "hose offs" and the doggie spong bath were after the three times he had rolled in favorite scent masking device (Fresh cow pies). The sponge bath was at a water trough because we were miles from a hose. I'd take we3beagles advice and forego the shampoo. Don't panic on the ears yet, ask your vet and realize there are very inexpensive alternatives to higher priced ear cleaning solutions! The dryer the area, the less likely ear problems, I've never had to deal with cleaning my Bagel's ears but the average humidity here is less than 10%. Low humidity means no heartworm and I have never seen a flea in my life are benefits to weight against 115 degrees in the summer /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif IMHO: The most precious thing you can give your pup is your time, everything else can be worked out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good call preparing ahead of time. I had just mentally prepared myself for getting a dog, and then on a whim happened to call a pet store (generally frowned upon, i know, but i was obsessed at that point) and they said they had a beagle and off we rushed to grab him. He was the "bargain dog" because he was 15 weeks old and getting "too old". They sold me the puppy package with all the fixings (crate, food, bowls, leash, collar, etc) and of course, once we got home i thought of other stuff i wanted/needed....but there was enough to get me through until i could get to another store. Knowing what i know now, i wouldnt go through a pet store again, but i think we were meant to "save" scooter and give him a good life. We really lucked out with him....he's the best purchase i've made in a long time! Good luck when you get your puppy....its an incredible experience!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with Letty about the excersise pen. We did have Caesar blocked into the kitchen with a baby gate but he still managed to get into the cupboards and also chew a corner of the linoleum. I once came home to potatoes, rice, cereal, and pasta all over the kitchen floor because I didn't properly shut the pantry door. :rolleyes: There was even a potato in his bed with him. He had a great time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I get to pick him up in a couple hours. I ended up going to the Humane Society to save one from there. There were about 7 beagles, it was hard choosing just one. His name is Rex, and he's 10 months old, but not pure beagle. He's mostly brown and black, with a small patch of white, and seems to be very well behaved. I'll have pictures in a few hours.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: Thank you for rescuing, and it sounds like Rex is coming to a great home. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So excited for you and Rex! Not sure how you could pick out just one beagle rescue ... I'm afraid I would end up with all 7! Looking forward to your first pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts