Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, Polly was scooching. Georgia had an appointment for her rabies, etc.
So off I went to the vet, with both dogs. The vet was 30 minutes late coming back from lunch, the receptionist kept shushing my beagles...it was a disaster. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thsmiley_fistshake.gif
Seriously, what did she expect!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif All those exciting smells, and the dog food, and then, since the vet was late, 2 more dogs came in after us!!!
Then he showed me how to express her anal glands myself, and charged me $8. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It took 2 seconds!!! It looked pretty simple--I thought it was more complicated.
Anyway, to charge me when he was LATE? grrrrr...
He told me to express them this week again, and see how she is doing.
I know, I've read all the posts on here, and it's kind of gross. But our vet is 20 miles away and gas is now $3.55/gal!!
Tell me it will be easy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Don't know, but I hope for you it will be easy!

$8 for teaching you how to express the glands? I wonder what an entire DVM program costs!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Sounds like you need a new vet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Good luck with the anal gland expressions!
I'd rather drive to either Petsmart of the vet's depending on who is closer and pay the money to have it done. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our vet taught me how to do that too. I decided I would rather pay them (I have enough dirty jobs!). PeeeYuuu! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do it all the time for my poor Arty. He used to need the glands expressed every other week or so but now its about every month.

Here are so tips:
Do it outside or somewhere where you can hose everything down (like in a bath tub)

Do it right before a bath

Get a box of medical examination gloves and some lubrication (you can get the gloves at any drugstore, i think)

Depending on your dog, you might want someone to help you hold her down for a while, at least until you get the hang of it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

It is really not hard to do once you get the hang of it... I dont know about you but Im one of those horrible people who like to pop my own zits (i know, tmi!!) so when I express Arty's anal glands it sort of has that same satisfactory feeling. I am also a nurse and so putting my finger up Arty's rectum is not much different than giving patients anal suppositories and the like.

The worst thing of the whole experience is the smell, which I have gotten used to now but for a while I always had the ventilation going full blast in my bathroom and made sure to squeeze lots of soap onto Arty and washed him so that the stink went away.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, the vet did not tell me to put my fingers inside of her! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif He just showed me to hold a paper towel up to her behind, and squeeze the sides in.
Out came a little spoonful of some really, really smelly stuff!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sign20.gif I was surprised at how awful it smelled!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Nobody argues it's a nasty job!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif When I was expressing Maggie, I gave myself courage by: #1) realizing as a mom to an adventurous boy, I had faced many other unwelcome moments in his youth, and managed to get through them and #2) I would do whatever it took to keep Maggie out of pain!!

There are two ways to express. One is the external method your vet demo'd, and the other is an internal method. Use the method he showed you first. My vet demo'd that for me, and it's the first one I used. However, Maggie was difficult to express, and I eventually learned the internal method. My vet told me, it's easier to cause damage to the anus if the internal method is done incorrectly, so they don't demo it (although they USE it in the office a lot.)

I wish you luck. Don't feel bad if your fist attempts are clumsy.

Hold her tail with one hand straight up; it brings the glands closer to the surface so they can be seen and felt easier. Also remember, it's very uncomfortable for the patient, so don't panic if she cries or whines.

I expressed Maggie in the bathtub for easier cleanup. Whatever you do, don't get your face too close (and safety glasses wouldn't hurt either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would've loved to pay $8! The last time I took Bo to her the old vert, they charged me $12 to show me how. The girl also used the method of sticking her finger inside and she had FAT fingers. Poor Bo...Luckily, I haven't noticed any problems with her glands these past few months. When I take her to the groomer, I'll just have them do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts