Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm so glad there are so many beagle lovers out there. I've wanted one for the longest time and finally got one last week. I'm still learning to navigate this site so please excuse me for any mistakes.

This past week has been quite an experience for me. My pup is only 9 weeks old and I find he likes to wander and chew on things a lot which I know is normal behavior, especially for a beagle. I've read many books on training and beagles in general but putting all of that into real use is hard.

My biggest problem is that he whines and howls all the time when nobody is home. We've taken time off work to spend time with him but I'm afraid we'll have to leave him alone for an extended amount of time now. Can anyone suggest any ways to help my Choco get over his separation anxiety? I've tried wrapping a ticking clock in his bed and worn clothes that smell like us. It kills me to leave him alone but we've got to get out there and make a living. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You should work with Choco on Crate Training. There are many useful links and information online. Here is one that I like:
Crate Training

Welcome!! by the way

You should introduce yourself and Choco (with pictures of course) on the introduction forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do it most of the time we go out and leave Maisie.

Try leaving the TV or a Radio on at low volume, just seems to break the silence maybe keeps there mind occupied.

I have seen crate training being mentioned on here i am assuming that is the same as using a cage.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Would it help if you give him a frozen Kong when you leave? The Kong company makes one for puppies. Maybe that would keep him busy for a while when you leave and then he would get tired and sleep. My friend's pup was having the same problem and she decided to leave 3 frozen Kongs in the crate, in place of all or part of her breakfast. That seemed to help the pup get through the initial leaving time. As the pup got older she decreased to one Kong. Her dog is over a year now but I still think she leaves one frozen Kong every morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I had a problem with Molly whining like crazy when I left for work and then she would pee. I got her a Busy Ball from Target and fill it with dog kibble. So the morning routine is:

- baby-gate her in the kitchen
- TV on, but I don't just turn it on when I am leaving, its on for an hour or so before
- lots of safe toys
- all chewable items picked up. If I couldn't pick them up, then I sprayed bitter apple on them
- gave her Rescue Remedy with her breakfast
- and finally, when I am on my way out the door, she gets her Busy Ball. No whining!!! Just tossing the busy ball around.

Another thing I do is be careful not to jingle my keys. I just leave them in my purse until I am out the door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see people mentioning using a bitter spray to try and stop dogs chewing. With Maisie she wasn't to bad only while her teeth were coming in. For some help if the bitter spary doesn't work (did try it once with Maisie and she just licked it up), try using Colemans English Mustard. I am sure you get it in the states i think i seen it in a Publix the last time is was in Florida.

·
Registered
366 Posts
HI pbear98,
I am new at this too and thought for sure Winston would cry all the time we weren't home. But he doesn't. I started crate training right away when he came home and WOW, I would never have it any other way.
Often He does cry as we leave, especially if we have to crate him off typical schedule but I have listened outside the open window and it stops very quickly. I started by leaving just a couple hours at a time and stretched it out by 1/2 hour or so each time. At 9 weeks, Winston slept most of the time he was crated anyway. (still does at 13 weeks) I always leave one toy in the crate (a tiny teddy bear) that is always there, like a constant, plus whatever chewy toy(s) is his favorite du jour.
Words of advice from my young daughter who taught me...repeat after me, crates aren't cruel, crates aren't cruel, crates aren't cruel....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts