Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my beagle puppy to bed in her crate a little over an hour ago, and she hasn't stopped howling since! I made sure she did her business outside before putting her in, so I'm pretty sure she's not howling to be let out to pee/poo. Somebody suggested to me to place a cloth over the top of her crate (it's the metal kind) and to place a large stuffed toy inside. Are there any other ways to somehow make this process a little easier for her (and my ears)?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Be strong. Keep the crate in your room so that she is in proximity to you and knows you're there.
You can also put a hot bottle wrapped in a towel so that she is warm and some people suggest a ticking clock to mimic a heartbeat.

She will whine for a night or two (hopefully not the entire night), but it will get better.

Please learn from my mistakes (I didn't crate train) and just don't give in. It will get better.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Ignore it. I know it's hard, but it's necessary. We gave in to Jersey's crying on night one. Three years later she's still suffering from separation anxiety. We can't leave her alone at all, not even to run to the grocery store. It's hard now, but in the long run it's the best thing for all of you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you have children? Any chance you have a bear or machine that makes the sound of a heartbeat? We use a large stuffed animal and a noise machine with the sound of a heartbeat and it works wonders. I have never had a pup that has whined or cried continuously for more than 20 minutes or so. They will start and stop, but eventually they do wear themselves out. Just hang in there. You will be so happy that you didn't give in. The pup is fine...it's just trying to see what works to get you to let it out. Whining and crying never hurts them. (just our hearts and ears!)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I couldn't leave anything in the crate with Maggie because she would eat it. I tried to ignore the crying but if I thought she needed to go out, I kept the lights off,put her on a leash went out, no talking or interacting. I did give her a treat if she pottied while outside. Other than that I was quiet and she went right back to bed. If she went in and whined a little, I just said go to sleep and then ingnored her. Now she likes her crate and prefers to be there when we leave the house.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ignoring is best. I see such a big difference between Roscoe and Cole because of this very issue. With Roscoe we didn't have much of a choice (long story) and he is spoiled! Cole on the other hand, sleeps on his own bed and actually loves it! He goes willingly.

Maybe put a sweatshirt or t-shirt with your scent on it to comfort her?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Try putting an unwashed tee shirt into the crate with her. Your smell may help her calm down.

Sorry... I know what you are going through. I can't be of any more help. My two have run-of-the-house (no crates).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Theres a few things that help with crate training:
#1 rule is what everyone else said... ignore the crying! if u go to her every time she cries she figures out thats what get you there and shell continue to do it.

#2 covering the crate is a great idea, by keeping it more inclosed it helps the pup feel safer and more secure.

#3 putting something in there that smells like you... like a t-shirt or sweater that has been worn and not washed yet may help sometimes as well.

#3 the crate should never be a punishment, its there for their enjoyment (eventually i promise shell love it) and not for a punishment when theyre being naughty. Make the crate a posotive place. you can do this by feeding meals in the crate, rewarding with a treat, toy, or praise every time she goes in the crate.

Im in the middle of crate training 3 Yorkies who are older and have never been crate trained before... its a frustrating situation sometimes... but it will be worth it and youll be glad you did!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Tonight, I will try putting in a shirt of mine, and hopefully the night will go a bit smoother.

Last night, after howling for nearly two hours, she tired herself out and went to bed for about half an hour. After that, it was continuous howling and whining for about another two hours, and then she actually slept for the remainder of the night! When I went down to get her in the morning, she didn't even whine or anything, but sat and waited for me to open the crate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts