Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 5 month old Beagle named Scout that is having trouble sleeping through the night. We have her in her crate and she likes it pretty well. She is now better about not peeing in it when I am at work in the morning and after lunch. We put her to bed anywhere form 9-10pm and want her to ge tup around 4-5am. At first she had to be taken out because she just couldn't hold it, but then she started sleeping all the way through. Just recently about 2 weeks ago she started crying in the middle of the night again. I ignored her, not wanting to giver her attention, but then I woke up at 5am to a crate full of pee. So now she is crying in the middle of the night, and its because she has to pee. When I let her out then, she runs to the door and immediately goes outside. I then pick her up and put her right back in the crate.

I am not sure what to do? If I ignore her crying, she is going to pee in her crate. But then, if I am getting up in the middle of the night, will she just assume that I always will and never sleep all the way through?

I take her on a hour and a half walk around 3:30 in the afternoon. She is not really tired after this but I am! Then we play and sometimes she lay down for an hour if I am lucky. then around 7:30 I take up her water. Then around that time (7:30) I take her on another 30-45 min walk to get her to pee some and poop. She usually is a bit tired and will lay down around 9:00. Then around bedtime I take her out an have her pee again. I figure her bladder is full, but yet she still has to pee. She is really good about going to the door and I don't think its a urinary infection because she doesn't pee in the house or anything during the day.

I figure she is still young and doesn't have the most complete control over her bladder just yet. I just don't want to be waking up in the middle of the night forever. Its kind of a catch-22. If i ignore her she pees in her crate, if I get up, then she think she can make me get up when she crys.

Sorry for the long post, any help will be great!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't know about others but with Sammy at 5 months 7 to 8 hours overnight was still just a little to long for her to hold it. My vet gave me the "one hour for each month of age plus one" rule. so that would put you at 6 hours. She is definitely on the right track but may just need a little more time. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

Godd Luck !!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was just strange because she was sleeping through but then kept waking up. I also switched her food, but that was after they started waking up again.

I just don't want her to think I am just going to get up every time she cries.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
like I said ....I still think she is too young to go the 7 to 8 hours a night that you want. She is still a baby and babies need to go more often until her bladder grows large enough to hold it. she is crying for a reason...she needs to go potty. She will need a couple more months to grow to make it that long. Patience is a must with puppies of any kind.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Please don't ignore her crys to go out, be glad she asks. Don't worry, she'll sleep through the night later on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it was the vet that asked "What happens if you ignore the crying". So the first time she cried after that I ignored to see. But now I know she is crying because she needs to go because she goes when I take her out. Also I make sure to take her right out and after she goes I pick her up and put her right back in the crate. I don't want her to even think that its play time in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
751 Posts
that's one area I am pretty lucky with Marley on, he holds it well. I follow his queues, and he can sleep from 11pm or 12 to 7am or 8 even. If he doesn't wake up, I leave him alone. He wakes up, we go out. When he is awake he goes more frequently though. Every 2 hours or so or more if he plays and drinks a lot. He will be 6 months in a day or two.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself :eyes: , but Blue has started sleeping through the night. He is a little over four months old. There are nights that he wakes us up and we are thankful he does. When we first got him, he wouldn't wake us until it was too late. During the day is another story, which is why he is starting day care next week. That and I don't want to drive out to the house come winter, so we are getting him used to it early. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She woke up again at 2:30 this morning. I really don't get it. She gets her last drink in about 7, then I take her water up at 7:30. We go on about a 45 min walk where she will pee, sometimes twice. Then I take he rout to pee, and make sure she does, at around 10. I thought her bladder would have been empty. Then this morning, my wife woke up at 4:30ish to feed her. She said she went out but wasn't sure if she peed. She didn't drink much water. Around 6:00 she starts crying. At this point I am thinking "there is no way she has to pee now, I know she can hold it for at least 4 hours (she does during the day)". Well my wife called and told me she peed in her crate. All I can figure is she didn't pee at 4:30 so was holding it from peeing at 2:30. So I guess when she crys it really means she has to go. I just didn't want to let her out every time she cries. I also had made the crate full size to give her some more room, I guess I will put the divider back in for a couple of days.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If she drinks at 7, lets say that by 8 she has peed, you cannot expect a 5 months old puppy to hold it for more than 7 hours.... this is why she is waking you up! :thinker:
You need to walk her again as late as possible, so that the 7 hours she holds it will be from 11 pm to 6 am... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Drew:
I also had made the crate full size to give her some more room, I guess I will put the divider back in for a couple of days.
Yes, definately put the divider back in. You may think it is better for her roomy, quite the opposite, she feels insecure.
Patience, it won't happen over night. Reminds me of the good old nights every time when some one mention peeing night time. My eyes half opened walking Charlie on leash to the yard in some ungodly hours. Glad I did not trip on something. :hi:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I take Dixie out half way through the night, which is 4 hrs after we go to be.

She does really well, only when she gets sick is when all bets are off, and she is now 3 months old.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Scout is really good about crying when she wants to go out in the middle of the night, so I don't have to set the alarm. Well we kept the crate at full size last night. I think she likes to lay across it lengthwise. Anyway she didn't cry until around 4:30 this morning which is fine for us. So she slept through the night, yay! We are wondering if she is getting re adjusted to being at home after being boarded last weekend. Also she was at day care yesterday and we had a make-up puppy class last night. She was really tired (plus i ran her around the back yard). She was really good this morning but didn't eat much of her food. We gave her lots of treats during the class, and I think some are pretty rich.

So today is the first full crate work day. I will see her at lunch and see how she did in the crate being at full size for about 4 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
You can run this past her vet to be sure there is nothing wrong. But ours got up to pee in the middle of the night for years. They had to go pee. I just got used to it, and I would get up, take them out for a quick pee, and back to bed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the title of this thread made me giggle. I have 3 small ( human ) children - am grateful when I get to get some kind of sleep at any stage of the day/night/week/year LOL. So I guess this was never an issue for me when we got Snoopy pup- he was the least of my worries LOL. Sorry but I find it funny /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hope you get some sleep soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ( sleep? what's that anyway??).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, about 2 nights ago she starts whining at 11. We had put her to bead around 9:30 and she peed before I put her in the crate. So I got up and she pooped and peed. I am assuming she had to poop and I don't mind letting her out to do that. She then woke up again at 1:30ish and I took her out to pee again.

Last night was the same thing, I ignored her until 12 this time but I still took her out anf she pooped. No big deal. She cried again at 1:30. All she wanted to do was play. So I decided to put her pillow in the crate. We haven't been putting the pillow in at night of during the day because she has peed on it before at night. But we do put the pillow in when we are there and she will go in a sleep on it. Anyway, I put the pillow in and she did really well. The only problem is now the pillow is like a sleeping pill. We can't get her to come out of her crate in the morning. Its making it harder to get her to eat. But she will figure it out.

One good thing was on Saturday morning we put the pillow in around 5 and she slept to about 8. We haven't slept in that much since we got her.

For some reason she sleeps really well on the pillow. now, if I could only trust her to still hold her pee and cry when she needs to go with the pillow in the crate. I might she how she does with it after lunch since she will only be in the crate for about 4 hours.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah my wife made the same analogy. But we had held off on sleeping on the pillow because she peed on it before. So I think if all goes well this afternoon we will try it out tonight.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got some blanket material and folded it up just right for the crate, and under that i have a fluffy pad for more cushion. seems to be comfortable enough as she is hard to get up during the night when i wake her up to go outside.

I have to wake her up at certain time so she can potty since i wear hearing aid and i can't hear her at night. since she is only 3 months old, she stay in the crate for 4 hrs and it has worked like a charm!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts