Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so hubby and i are packing up granny and homer for a trip to tampa for christmas this year and i am a little worried about taking homer.he has never been on a long trip-just to the vet's.is there anything he can take if he gets carsick?it usually takes me and hubby 10 hours or so-with a couple of stops.think homer will ok in his crate in a hatchback car with one seat down for that long of a drive-with stops every few hours of course or should i get one of those pet seatbelt thingys?he can't just sit and enjoy the ride-he has to fight to sit in hubbys lap when he is driving :eyes: is there anything he can take if he gets too freaked out on the drive?there will be 12 people,1 toddler and another dog(he is only familiar with 5 of us) at my parents house and i know he is gonna be scared s***less(he freaks if a neighbor comes outside)and i want to make sure i am prepared if he gets to anxious and starts to freak.i would love some ideas on how to help him cope with any of this before i have to resort to drugging him too much.the only thing that usually calms him down is when we hold him and we can't be doing that all of the time

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours travel in a cage, they are safer that way. If a minor accident happened homer would be protected, even more so if you put the special padding in the cage on the section towards the front of the car. Stop frequently to let him stretch his legs and to have a drink. On a long journey we stop every 2-3 hours depending on the heat.
There are drugs one can give but if you can get away without them it would be better- ask your vet about that one.
Maybe take him more often now for drives to see how he reacts.
As for the crowd at the other end, will there be a room where he can perhaps seek refuge? Put his crate in there. Take any favourite toys he has with him . If he isnt car-sick dont forget to feed him at his usual times.
When you take him out of the car make sure he is on leash or he might panic and run off, the same at the destination.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is pretty calm in the car when we take her, but she does it carsick also. Our vet said we an give her Dramamine for the long car ride to New York.

I notice Abby throws up if she's on the floor. If someone is holding her on the seat she's fine.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can give no advice as the Bagel is an accomplished traveler. He has probably logged over 20,000 miles on pavement and over 20,000 miles on dirt, race courses, abd plain off-road conditions. If I need to stop to whiz, the Bagel gets to stretch his legs but he never had gotten the least bit sick.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ive heard sugar water BEFORE the trip helps...just told that by a breeder, not sure how much though?

maybe ask you vet for more advice too

Have a great trip!!

manda

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue gets car sick just backing out of the drive way from anxiety. We bought a product called Pet Calm from Petco and it seems to be working. Of course handing him his Kong when he hits the car could be helping also!!! Pet Calm is an herbal supplement that is supposed to work on anxiety issues, so it may help with strangers also. We give it to him 30 minutes before we head out. It makes him a little sleepy, but within 10 minutes of being out of the cars (1 hour rides) he is back to normal. Blue seems to do better when the ride is a constant speed instead of stop and go in town driving. We are heading on a three hour trip for Thanksgiving, so I will give you an update when we get back.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've been fortunate with Jersey. She's a great little traveler. We just drove from Tampa to Atlanta and she was great. She had the entire back seat to herself. We had all her stuff for her in the back; crate (takes up about half the seat), bed, toys, treats... If Homer is comfortable in his crate, I would set that up for him. I also use the seatbelt harness with Jersey. Perhaps you could swith between the two until you see how well he's handling the ride. Or try a couple of trial runs just driving around town to see how he's reacting.

I would contact your vet and see what he says to give Homer for the sickness and anxiety. I know that PetSmart sells herbal supplements to calm a dog down. They never worked for Jersey's separation anxiety, but I know lots of people here have had a lot of luck with those products.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our vet recommended Benadryl for our first road trip with Josie, but we ended up not needing it. I don't remember what the dosage recommendation was. Definitely talk to your vet to see what he recommends.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Sydney can have a full adult gravol when we travel (21lbs) but it is her nerves that make her sock more than anything so we have to sedate her. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I forgot to mention that Blue does have a seat belt as we thought the kennel may have been making him sick, but that was not the case. He does like the seat belt better, but doesn't really like any of the above!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts