Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a three-month-old Beagle pup. She was born black and white with tan her eyes. Her mother had the classic tan head and ears. At what age do tricolors turn tan on the head and ears? She's beginning to turn but I wondered when she would look like her mother.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Around 4 months, they start changing color, the ears begin lightening up. I'll show you some before and afters.

6 weeks in the first two. 4 months in the third, 8 months in the last.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This is what I provide for the people that purchase pups from me to show first time Beagle owners how they change. Hope it helps. ---well that file wouldn't work, but these are the photos from the flyer.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts

I have nothing to contribute on the subject, but I love the pics!!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie will turn 3 next month and is still changing color. The brown on her legs keeps going higher and is moving up into her shoulder and hip area. The brown on the back of her neck is moving down into her black saddle. The saddle is also turning brown by her tail. The groomer we take her to loves seeing the changes each time we go in.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My boyfriend asks our boy dog Spock, who was almost totally black and white when we got him, When did we get this brown dog? I'd say by the time Spock was a year old, his head and ears had totally turned brown, and we find brown creeping into the black fur on his back as he approaches age 2. The ticking (the spots of contrasting fur color) on his white legs is becoming more pronounced as he ages. And of course, the older they get, the more their color changes and fades. My grandma's 10-year-old beagle/basset was brown and black up until sometime last year, and now, his face fur is changing from brown to light tan.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, they change color (more so the tricolor pups than the red/white or lemon pups).

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 8pt">I moved this topic to the large photo section due to the large photo uploaded. Please keep the uploaded photos within the size restrictions.</span></span>

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is almost 4 and I'm still noticing some changes in her coloring. She was born red and white. By the time I adopted her at around 8/9 weeks she had started getting some black at the base of her tails and in the saddle area of her back. Over the years she has gone back to almost all red and white, back to some black, a little less black, and now some more black. As she sheds her coat and gets new fur in, the colors seem to change. It's like she's part chameleon. She started getting some white around her eyes over the last year or so but now it seems that is getting more red again. I may just be getting used to seeing the white though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm so glad I found this topic! My tri-color, Abby, will be 3 months old this week and we thought she would always be mostly black & white (not that we minded). Interesting to know that she will get more brown as she ages!

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts