Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be taking Abby (4 mos) on a trip with us next weekend. It's about 5.5 hours each way. We've taken her on a few short car trips but nothing this long. I'll take any advice you all can give me!

Thanks,

·
Registered
889 Posts
We often make a 6 hr drive with our two furkids. They're older than Abby but they do really well. We've done several things. If we take my hubby's car (SUV) we put a travel crate in the back and put their pillow in it. The crate is plenty big enough for the two of them and they pretty much sleep the whole way. If we take my car (smaller two door) we just put several pillows in the back on top of the folded down seat and they either stare out the window or sleep. Most of the time they sleep.
They're really very good on long trips. They're actually better on long trips than short trips... not sure why though.

We usually prefer to crate them if we can because we just feel like it's a little safer. If we were to get in an accident it would keep them from flying around or out of the car.

Good luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
naturally you want to take the things with you that she is comfortable with and recognizes,
ie, her blanket, chew, dog dish. take her normal dog food and
then just make stops as often as you have to for yourself.
i have heard of dogs getting car sick .so you may want to bring paper towels and even a bath towel. not sure what preventative meds to bring for that.
Have fun, in our pups first summer, taking them on road trips was the best part of the summer.
not sure what part of the country you live in, but if you want to see your beagle freak out with fun and excitement, take her to a sandy beach and let her go!!!
C.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have a cage in the back of our car, with a comfy bed lining it. usually we stop every couple of hours to let them out to pee- be careful to keep her on the leash when doing this. We feed them at their usual times, and give them water. Normally they are fine. If its hot dont leave them alone in the car (when you need a toilet etc) make sure the windows are open when you are parked. Dogs die very quickly if left locked in in the heat.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Petco (or any other pet store I am sure) has calming pills to use for pets that get car sick, like mine does.

Just make sure to stop as often as you made need too

·
Registered
890 Posts
We called our vet and she gave us some tranquilizers for our move to Utah. Tucker does not travel well and this was the only way he could make the trip without going crazy. It took us around 16 hours spread over 3 days. I hate to use them but it did make it more comfortable for everyone. Dramamine also can work, but you need to consult with your vet to get the correct dosage. There is also more than one formula so you have to check with the vet to make sure you get the right kind. Also make sure you confine them in a crate or harness.

We have a friend that has a pit pull. He is always harnessed when in the car. She was rear ended one day and without the harness he would have been hurt or killed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for the advice. We are going to keep her crated for the trip and she's getting better on our short test trips. I'm planning on taking her out one more time before Friday.

I'll let you all know how it goes!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trip went really good!!!!! Abby did alot better than I expected...so now I don't dread the next time!!! :)

Thank you ALL so much for your advice!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts