Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We didn't have a problem with the trashcan until we got Gino. Now we keep our trashcan in our mudroom which is conveniently right next to the kitchen. Maybe you can keep yours in the cabinet? Our trashcan was too tall for that.

Counter surfing, we just consistently say down and make them sit when in the kitchen. They will only get something (their own treats) if they are sitting, away from the counter. Alternatively, you can just put a gate up so they can't even get in the kitchen, but we didn't do that. We also NEVER feed them from the table, if we are going to give them food we take it away from the counters and the table.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, it sounds silly but I never thought about just removing the trashcan to another location. I am seeing that I just need to change some things instead of just expecting the dogs to do all the adjusting. I can change some things. It will be perfect to move the trashcan to the cabinet. Until I can get the counter surfing under control, I think I will gate the kitchen. Thanks for telling me what worked for you, I am so close to the situation that I don't think I am seeing the obvious fixes. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
In my opinion, you have to pick your battles! Puppy/dog proofing the house is the safest easiest option

Glad I could help!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes, that puppy & dog proofing is the safest thing to do for both you & the Beagle. Until I got Shiloh B. - my first Beagle - I had smaller dogs - definitely 12 inches tall or less where as Shiloh B was almost 16 inches before he reached a year old. (Yes - he is a BIG Beagle). Before Shiloh B I never had to worry about a dog of mine counter surfing. He taught me very quickly that the best thing to do was just make sure that there was ABSOLUTELY NO food left on the counters - it is almost impossible for me to gate off the kitchen or else I would. My orgwe Beagle, Shasta B, is only slightly above 14 inches - she can't reach the top of my kitchen counters. As for the trash can, that is behind locked cupboard doors under the sink.
Just walk around your home, on your hands and knees - anything you can touch is the same for the dogs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It is a lot about adapting and picking your battles. We got one of those trashcans with the lids where you have to step on the lever to make it open. That's worked GREAT for us.
JoJo's too short to reach the top of our counters, but will sometimes try to get up there. We keep everything pushed back and out of reach.

Our problem area in the house is the catbox. We just put a temporary gate up in front of it and will be coming up with a more permanent solution. She treats it as a buffet if I forget to scoop it in the mornings. BLEH!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea..forgot to mention the kitty box. Mine like tootsie rolls obviously.
I put it in the extra bathroom and put a gate up. I am learning to adapt my environment instead of expecting miracle beagles. :p It's actually working as I don't feel quite so frustrated and overwhelmed. I got one crate today and will get another soon. I'll start crate training soon. Today I have hope that we will actually get there and be able to relax enough to form a loving, bonded relationship. That's my goal...to have a fun, loving, ENJOYABLE relationship with my doggies.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
We keep the trashcan under the kitchen sink and my husband put latches on the doors so Miss Molly can't invade the trash or cleaning supplies. She can't really counter-surf, she is too short! But my greyhounds could, I just had to work at correctly them not to, and being sure I pushed the food away from the edge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts