Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally Posted By: gnomeI've been trying to teach Corey to sit nicely before letting him into the house when he's been locked out and I haven't even gone any where. The way he carrys on you'd think that the end of the world happened while he was out there and he's beyond happy so see another living being.
Oh there's so much to teach and I feel so unable to handle it. Sigh... How's someone with no self discipline suppose to teach someone else to have it? Maybe the hubby will have more luck then I've had these past six months.
Oh my goodness! I just read this post and thought That's me!
I think what's really helped is consistancy. I freely admit that I'm not a dog person. I love JoJo and want nothing but the best for her, but I have absolutely NO clue what I'm doing! I get frustrated easily, but the past few days have really calmed down, and it's made a big difference. I know she senses what I feel and interprets my body language better than I do.

Honestly, I don't think crating him would be a bad thing for a few hours. We crate JoJo when we're out, and she's been left for 4-5 hours at a time sometimes. She loves her crate, and it's left open at all times in case she feels like going in. She has a bed right next to it, so she always has a choice.

When my brother potty-trained his corgi pup, he used the crate. Restricting their space is a great idea, and can be a great tool.
Plus, going outside and using those potty cue-words can work wonders. We can go out with JoJo (who's 18months and we've had for 7months) and she'll wander around outback, but if we say go potty she'll go, and go about her business. She knows what to do when she's told it's potty time.

Take lots of deep breaths. It WILL get better!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally Posted By: gnomeOkay. There's so many things that I've already been told I'll always have to do with him I was dreading another.

Okay now he's throwing loops and I'm hard pressed not to believe that he's not just screwing with me. He will not enter the grass at night. I just tried taking him out to go potty, at first he wouldn't stray far from me and then when it became obvious that I wasn't going to pay attention to him he went and sat in his chair. After watching him I noticed he would leave his chair when he smelt something but only about a foot or so then he would double back never entering the grass. So I walked out to the middle of the yard and called to him. Took some pretty persistent calling but he came in the end. Once again never going far from me and after about 30 seconds trotted back to the porch and made it very obvious he wanted in. We came in I felt that we had gotten some where as he came into the grass though I probably should've waited for a bit to show that I was deciding to come in not him. Sigh Oops
Have you tried putting a leash on when you go out to go potty?
Talk him into coming out into the grass, encourage him to go out there with you.
JoJo won't step in wet grass without lots of encouragement. She's a beagle diva.
But, if we're encouraging her, or we're out for a walk, she'll walk in it no problem. Just not one her own accord.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.