Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky starts his beginner training on Saturday! Wish my baby luck (and me because I think he might embarass me...)! Let's hope this helps so I can finally take him on walks and feel like I have some control over him. :sign20:

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
LuckyBeagle, I sincerly wish you all the luck you seek, not because your baby is going to ambarass you, but becayse obedience training is 90% for the owner!
Be strong, be consistent, and make it fun. The rest will come all by itself. BTW, training a dog to walk at the heal on leash taks 20 minutes. So no big deal. Relax and enjoy Obedience school, it is really a lot of fun for the dogs and fore the handlers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Take a couple sandwich bags with tiny sliced up treats in one. I would take a cold cut and cut it into 49 pieces (6 cuts each way). The other back, turned inside out can be used to safely retrieve any deposits Lucky feels compelled to leave. If you have fun, so will Lucky.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Good Luck ..... and like Bob said if you have fun Lucky will have fun too !!

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Wishing you good luck and lots of fun too! I took Ted to obedience class when he was 1 yr old and I had only had him for 2 weeks. He wasn't at the top of the class, but it helped us "bond". Besides, a beagle is so cute and loveable, whatever Lucky does, everyone will think it's precious! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Good luck! I really enjoyed taking Jersey to her beginning classes. It was great for her to socialize and it was great for us to learn how to handle her.

Quote:Originally posted by cheerio:
BTW, training a dog to walk at the heal on leash taks 20 minutes. So no big deal.
20 minutes?!?! I've been trying this for a year now with absolutely luck. What's the trick? :freak:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It didn't take me much longer than that for the Bagel to learn to heal. As long as we did it a couple of times a week he was perfect. Now, I seldom have the need for him to heal and it takes me at least five minutes to convince the Bagel it is one of those kind of walks! 10 minutes later and he is oerfect, keying on my left leg and sitting when I stop.

Having a small piece of tasty morsel in my left hand, the one holding the middle of the leash got the Bagel's undivided attention! When we'd stop and he'd sit, I;d sneak him a little piece of cold cut. He learned to like healing real quick! After a while I only occassionally give a tret but he remembers, sit when we stop, and hope /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I wish I could teach Lucky to walk on a leash in 20 minutes, but it's been over a year and still no luck! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Can't wait until Saturday!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Bob, that's exactly what I did with Jersey. However, instead of learning to walk nice, the only thing that was accomplished was her jumping as we walked trying to get to the treat. :doh: She will usually sit when I stop walking, but that's hit and miss. She's not horrible pulling when we walk though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I must confess I seldom "polite walk" the Bagel anymore. If we are in a crowd, he has the distinct fault of spying another dog and arroooing to his hopefully new friend. I connect his short leash to his regular collar as opposed to his normal long lead to his trackiong harness and he knows we are going for a ride or one of those walks. It also discourages his "Hello Arroooing."

I've always worked with the Bagel to take any offered treat very politely. It took me about a week to get him to accept treats only when presented to him. Now, he would never jump for treat because he knows that would insure he didn't get the treat. I don't make him beg, he just sits until I reach down to his level and offer the treat. I think Jersey has trained you better than Bagel has trained me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by bob:
I think Jersey has trained you better than Bagel has trained me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
LOL! You've got no idea. One look and I'm done. Jersey is a very good dog, but I know that there are some things she'd be better at if I were a better leader. She's a tad bit pampered. :rolleye11:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lucky did wonderful with his first training class! He was the teacher's pet. He volunteered to do every command first. The funny part is he would do every command when she asked him to, but when we tried to get him to, he was too worried about what the trainer was doing to pay attention to us. I think he likes her! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He is doing quite well at home with his new commands!!! :happyhappy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts