Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried house-training a beagle using a bell? We tried it for a week by place a bell next to the door and ringing it when we went out. Molly never started to ring the bell but did start associating the door w/ outside and goes to the door and pushes the blinds. This is great when i'm near the door, but not when i'm anywhere else in the apartment. Has anyone had luck w/ this method?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Though I did hear of the training method and was going to implement it when Rio was a pup,I never did. I did always wonder how and if it would be successful.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We use a bell for Maggie. Unfortunately we started after she already had the habit of jumping on the blinds. It took a long time with us ringing the bell every time she went to the door. She finally did get the idea but when she is real excited about something in the backyard she still jumps on the blinds.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Matt we have used a bell since we got Hunter 4 years ago. It has worked very well for us. Every time we took her out when she was a pup, we would ring the bell. It took her a while to ring it herself, but once she got it she started to ring it whenever she wanted out. When we got Casey she grasped on faster because she watched Hunter. It took patience, but it works great for us. Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes! I taught Badger how to ring a bell to go out when he was a little puppy.

I strung the bell with yarn fairly low on the door so he could reach it and I took his paw and made him hit the bell along with saying potty everytime he would go out. He caught on very fast! ALTHOUGH he is a little bugger sometimes and rings the bell just to go out and goof around! ha ha ha
:hi:
Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My beagle/lab mix (as a 2 month old puppy) had it figured out within a few hours of our attempting this. We used a parrot toy that had the bright colorful beads on a string and then a large bell at the bottom. We hung it on the sliding glass door and made him nudge it with his nose when we would take him out. We have since installed a dog door so we have not needed to train the others with the method, but I loved how easily he picked it up.

As others have mentioned though it is not fool proof...he did ring it to go out and play also, but I would rather let him out more than necessary, than to have accidents to clean up later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts