Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Training tips for Off

Milo's always been an enthusiastic jumper but today apparently I don't have the patience for it. He's been jumping up onto the dining room table and jumping up and digging his front paws into my back as I work here.

I've been trying what worked to get him to "sit" which was playing nice cop and giving him a nugget of kibble when he did what he was told. It worked at first, but now he is just greedy for the kibble.

I've also taken some breaks and played with him to try to get some of his extra energy out. But that bought me nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Re: Training tips for Off

Jumping has been one of the hardest things for Maggie. She is getting better but its something we work on every day. I turn my back and ignore her when she jumps, sometimes I have to walk away or even into another room. If I say off and she responds then she gets praise, petting, sometimes a treat. I don't have any magic ideas, its constant work but she is improving all the time. When friends come to visit, they have been warned not to look at or pet Maggie until she sits. I have seen really good improvement with this because she really wants the attention.

·
Registered
751 Posts

I second everything jassy says above. Here's more info (you'll have to try them to see what works for your pup):

1) whatever technique you choose, everyone in your household must follow suit, and be consistent.
2)no attention when they jump - none. Turn your back, give a command or signal, whatever you have to do to get your pup to back off. Ignoring works best, but we use the sit command, and also turning our backs or folding our arms. When Marley sees this, he knows it means no jumping or you will not get what you want. (attention)
3)No petting if Milo jumps up. This means guests, neighbors, no one, no time.
4)praise when Milo does the right thing. This can include a treat, petting, etc. But don't over do it, he might et excited all over again.
5)they even say that pushing the pup off, or any physical contact, will be a reward to them and keep them doing it.
6) you can also use a spray bottle or other deterent.

Milo will get it over time with consistecy. He may be connecting jump up + kibble. Try ignoring him. My Marley still has his moments when he gets overly excited, but the above works wonders. He now allows hubby to get in the door without attacking him!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts

I use a water bottle with diesel... when he jumps up on the couch or something i tell him off. and when he does not listen i show him the bottle (since he already knows what is comming) and say off again. normally he listens when i show it to him. but if he doesnt i squirt him just once and say off again. he usually gets off

·
Registered
158 Posts

Beaglina jumped up at me just as I was reading this - it's the first time in ages! I told her to sit and then petted her - but she's quite a bit older than your pup. At that age I just used to ignore her - and if she was being really insistent I pulled another couple of chairs round me so she couldn't do it. I'd definitely agree with what Marley's Mommy said - pushing Beaglina away just used to wind her up all the more. I'd also second what jassy said about training other people - Beaglina still jumps up at other people when we are out because I've never been strict enough with them!

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts