Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lou is a two year old Beagle that was born on a puppy mill and somehow got to an Amish farm where he lived on a 6 ft chain 24/7 for many months - I don't know exactly how long but it was at least 5. I know they never took him off the chain, he'd never been in a house, was never played with, etc. Although I have no knowledge of his having been abused physically, he certainly was neglected.

The trainer I am working with (has 57 years of training dogs!) says that sometimes when you rescue a dog it's a good idea to change its name so that IF he was yelled at or punished a lot, he might associate his name with negative experiences.

Now, I know the first question you would ask: does he show signs of having been abused or even just fear with his name? The answer is no, he doesn't but then I don't yell at him either.

I am a first time Beagle owner, not that this issue applies to Beagles only but I would be interested in your thoughts. It took a while but I did get used to calling him Lou - I didn't like it at first - but then my sister suggested Jack and I think that's such a cute name and he looks like a Jack..

I'm just so unsure of what to do. Have any of you done this? Do you think it's important for a rescue dog? And the big question: which name do you like better - Lou or Jack?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
He is a sweet looking dog. I am sorry I don't have any advice on the name change, however I do volunteer for a rescue and often we don't know the dog's correct name because it was stray and was named at the shelter. they do seem to learn the new name.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like Jack better too. You can certainly change it -- they really do learn their new name quickly. To speed things up, call him to you using Jack, and give him a treat. Beagles love their treats

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you don't like Lou, and the trainer (whom I'm assuming you trust) suggested a name change, and his explanation does make sense - I have to say, change it!
Jack sounds good with that sweet face

·
Registered
865 Posts
I like either name, but I would probably go with what the trainer says. The explanation makes sense. If you really loved the name Lou, I would probably think a little more about it, but since you don't, why not kill two birds with one stone!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another vote for Jack. I like Jack much better! I say go for it.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle came to us aged 6 months. We changed her name before we even got her home!! Wacki became Bilbo. She learnt it very quickly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
First - what the trainer says does make perfect sense and even if I hadn't read that I would think the same. How would you react to hearing your name screamed and yelled out all the time - I know I would run in the opposite direction.

As for the names - Lou s Jack - as I scrolled down through the message and the pics came into view, I thought - now that is Jack. When I look at those pics then try putting the name, Lou with them - just doesn't work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
no on the loujack! it sounds like lowjack! hehe

but i love the name jack, it seem so to suit him quite well .. then you can call him jack jack ... awww.. or jackie bear, jackalack, mr jack.. aww they all sound like cute pet names. adorable!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I like the name Jack better too. The trainer's suggestion makes sense. You never know what his past was. This way he gets a whole new start at a good life.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My rescue dog Calvin, quickly learned his new name. He was an owner-surrendered dog, and when I adopted him through the Humane Society, they told me his former name was 'Trouble'.

NO WAY was I gonna call him that! He learned his new name quickly, and I'm sure it has better meaning for him than his old name.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I gave my Sadie her new name when I rescued her and she took to it right away. The name she came with was Eagle Beagle.....I just couldn't call her that.

I definitely like Jack! Or even Jake.
He's a great looking beagle!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with the others, when I saw the face, I just thought Jack really fit him

BTW, he is adorable and thank you for rescuing him, just imagine how many Happy years he is going to have now with you. When I think of where Snoopy came from, how sad and terrified he was, to now a very proud happy beagle, it just makes my heart smile

I also agree that if you change his name, he will pick up on it very fast...Snoopy was Chevy at the shelter, Marbles was the red and white....Snoopy responds to Snoops, Noopers, Boo boo, ect...they are really smart!!!

good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have two greyhounds that had racing names, then names given by their foster parents after rescue. They are fine with their names and many greyhound owners change the name once again after adoption.

Molly is from a shelter and the shelter named her that, we don't know her original name.

You can even make up nicknames and they learn to come to that, its the response to your voice that's important. I just yell come on guys and I get 2 greys and a beagle running to me.

Jack is a very cute beagle name by the way.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree that he looks like a Jack! We changed Moose's name when we adopted him too. He used to be Joey, but had been in an abusive situation so we also thought the name might bring back bad memories and decided to change it to something completely different. And even though Moosie is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, he picked up his new name within a couple of days!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it's officially Jack. He's been neutered and chipped today and I replaced his name tag (I don't trust non-dog people to think of checking for a chip..). So he's officially Jack and he started responding to it almost as soon as I started calling him that. It really did work - thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah! Great to hear he likes his new name. Just practice calling him to you using Jack, give him some treats and he'll be good to go in no time. Now he's officially a new dog with a new life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts