Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly is the sweetest dog but she is a bit out of control with her jumping, pulling on walks, and especially her accidents in the house. She is 2 years old and we got her from a shelter. She has major nervous issues and accidents in the house. My husband pitched a fit last night and said she needs training ASAP from a profressional.
I don't disagree, in fact I had wanted to do that months ago and he said we could do it on our own.

Anyway,we have 2 other dogs. Andy who is awesome and VERY well behaved and Jake, who has separation anxiety and hardly even listens.

The options I am considering are:

1. Barkbusters in-home training
2. A private in-home trainer who customizes training to meet our needs
3. A doggie day care at a nice vet practice that offers training (this would help her socialization).

What do you guys think? Experiences???

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
If I could find a really good one then a private trainer would be great. Or how about obedience classes? There she will meet lots of other dogs and you get trained as well. Its essential you both go to the classes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the UK,Barkbusters do not have a good reputation.
They are a franchise and as long as someone can pay their money they can become a trainer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It would be wonderful to have a private trainer for in-home classes. Just check references on this person, so you are sure you have someone who understands both the anxiety issues and hounds. A lot of methods that work well on labs and shepards are not successful with hounds or terriers.

Another key is be sure you are trained, as well. Also include your other family members -- anyone who will give commands that must be obeyed. What you need from the trainer is really a solid way to relate your requirements to Molly, such that she understands and responds to them.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Sylvia

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cheryl,
With my dalmation, we had an in home trainer. It was the best money we spent. They learn in their own home environment and there are not many distractions. And the kids learned as well.

I had my lab in doggy daycare training classes. All she wanted to do was play with the other puppies.

I say if you can do the in home thing. Just make sure you get a good trainer with references.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The day-care doesn't provide any training so that one is out for sure.

The Barkbusters lady called me and she was really sweet, and was more concerned that I am trying to keep Molly than about who I select for a trainer. She said she would come for about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours and work on the jumping, separation anxiety etc. and teach us what she is doing. The price was a bit steep but it would be worth it if it works.

Just waiting for the other in-home trainer to call me back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts