Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We let our 14 month old beagle, Ruby, on the furniture. But we don't want her to play with toys on the furniture due to saliva and food particles that get on the surfaces, which she will lick on later. Anyone have any ideas on training? Or is differentiating toy and non-toy furniture access fruitless?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In my opinion, you can't do that and it's not fair to the dog. Waaay too confusing.
You need to make a choice: either you let Tuby on the furniture or not. If you do, toys are to be expected.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think you're expecting too much of Ruby at her young age. Perhaps a compromise would be to only let her on specific furniture where toys would be okay (but you're going to have a tough time un-teaching her about the rest of the furniture).

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I allow toys on my couch but not anything they can chew. If they are chewing something and I do not want it everywhere, I crate them until they are done. I would not expect them to know however what toys are allowed on the couch and what ones aren't. Often if they are getting a raw bone, I will put down a towel and make them chew it on that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Molly is only allowed on one sofa and we put a cover on that sofa to protect it from her, her toys, her food, and whatever she drags in from outside. She is still too small to get on the sofa by herself so it isn't hard to keep her off the other sofa, chairs, etc. Since we are usually sitting on the sofa that she is allowed on she hasn't showed too much interest in anything else. I expect this all to change when she gets bigger. She pretty much rules the house and gets whatever she wants though, so I have no doubt we will cave and either let her mess up the sofa or put covers on everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts