Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 y/o Beagle/Schnauzer (weird, I know!) mix pup who we have fondly nicknamed Captain Destructo.

It's been a constant struggle for me to find toys that he 1. Will chew 2. Won't destroy in 2 seconds.

He LOVES stuffed toys, rope toys, etc. but only because they're fun to tear apart and shred. He's the type of dog who will "pick" at the seams and any sticky-outy parts until he's shredded the entire toy.

I have bought him Kongs and Orbee-Tuff toys, but he will not touch them unless there is food inside, or when he throws them for himself to play one-dog-fetch. He won't settle down and really chew on anything that has rounded edges like that, because there's nothing 'fun' to pick at! He LOVES rawhides but I'd rather not make that an everyday thing, just because of the safety hazard. He isn't prone to chewing/eating big chunks off of them, but there's always a risk! Bully sticks are gone in 2 seconds. I have some boiled up soup bones for him that he does like, but they won't satisfy his need to shred! He has started destroying his bed because I took away all of his "pickable" toys.

Is there ANYTHING out there for a dog like this?! Help COTH!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have not found anything. Some toys last longer, but most die fairly quickly. Kongs are among the best, but we've got some powerful chewers too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have surgeon beagles...they go right for the seems. So I put racquet balls or red barn bones with cookie in them in socks. kings. Even a hard.cookie in kong, then in a sock. They then spend time getting the bone out, then the cookie. They have destroyed all their toys some faster than others, except the hartz squeak ball or bone, except racquet balls, or kongs. It is what it is.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Be careful with hard chews like round soup bones, antlers, and hooves. My dog loved those but some where along the line she cracked the two lower rear molars.. discovered during a cleaning 2 yrs ago. She still has those teeth since she doesn't seem bothered or no apparent infection. She'll be going again soon for a cleaning and time to evaluate those teeth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I faced the same problem. Our Jessie destroys all toys. All the toys I bought ended up in the trash can after a week. So I decided to buy toys in a second-hand store. They are cheap and it is not a pity to throw them away a couple of days after purchase. I also found an online store from which I ordered several inexpensive toys, including a Double Tennis Ball End Rope Toy. I saw a neighbor's dog playing with this toy in the yard and I decided to order it too. I really hope my Jessie likes it :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts