Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have an four month beagle (Jazz), i really want to know if there's some spacial toys for beagles that will challenge their huntig skills/ instincts.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well there are no toys per se, it's really more of a training thing. Sure you can get a stuffed squirrel or rabbit, but for your dog it's just a toy. But if it had the scent of a squirrel or rabbit then you've got something to work with. I know when we got Bodie the breeder suggested using a rabbit skin as a training tool but we were never interested in training him to track.

At 4 months old here's a couple of suggestions. First, tie a hot dog to a string and drag it all around your yard and/or street without your dog knowing. Then put him on a long lead and let him lead you. That's a real easy one. The second thing you can do is hide a piece of clothing somewhere along your walk route and let him track that on your next walk. That will be a little harder, but doable at his age.

Other then that, you'll need to get some hides and use them for more advanced tasks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.