Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any tell me some long lasting toys for homer?he destroys every single one!we stopped buying stuffed toys because within an hour the stuffing was out and so was the squeaker.we tried some real hard rubber toys but he gnaws on them and tears peices off.had really hard plastic chew ring and he pulled bits and pieces off of that in 4 days.he had a puppy kong(the blue and white)and he ruined that by tearing chunks out of it too!the only toy he has left is a rope toy and he chews and tears it apart in about 3 days but we can afford to replace it since it's only $1.00.i can't afford to spend $20 a week on toys for him tho and am afraid to spend $8-$15 on some toys that look like they might last only to have to throw it out later that night after he mauls it to pieces....so any thoughts on some real long lasting toys or should i throw him a gokart tire and tell him to have at it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We have had good luck with the red Kong.There is a black one that is even tougher. Maggie also has a hard plastic ball that has a battery inside. It is motion activated and makes a variety of animal sounds when touched or moved. She chases it all over the house. The other toy I buy her is Tuffies brand. She is able to destroy them but it takes a while. Once or twice a year they have a big sale because they change fabrics or design. I buy a lot then and put them out one at a time for Maggie. Be careful with rope because if Homer swallows too much it will cause a blockage. I finally quit giving Maggie a rope.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow - your stuffed toys last an HOUR? I'd be delighted if mine lasted 5 minutes! So far I haven't found anything that will last this terrorist pack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My vet said no ropes. I think trying a red or black kong would be a good possibility. Also, have you tried nyla bones? My pup likes 'em but gets bored if they are too hard (that destructive streak). The only reason my vet doesn't recommend them because she said most dogs don't like them. If you do try them, make sure you get the correct hardness for your little chewer!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe went through 2 black kongs, but that took her a few months.... after a few hours with the red one. She loves!!!!!!! balls (tennis size) and anything that is a little strong and squeeky!

I agree with magnoliablossom's vet about the ropes. It's really bad for the chewers because they tear the rope to little pieces and it turns to small "hair balls" like chunks which they love to swallow - BAD!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
[QB] Chloe went through 2 black kongs, but that took her a few months....

I hope Maggie does not become a power chewer like Chloe! My goodness black kongs bring to mind images of rotties not sweet little beagles (for me at least).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is a big chewer too. We had good luck with the black Kongs, but she still could pull pieces off. Nylabones hold up well for Jersey too. She has a couple of big bones and a couple of the dinosaurs. She chews on the dinosaurs a lot. For stuffed toys, I buy them in bulk from www.petedge.com. It's a website & catalog meant for pet shops/groomers, etc. but you can buy as an individual as well. The shipping is kind of expensive, but if you spend over $60, it's a little bit cheaper. I'd say, shipping included, the average toy is around $1.75. But these are nice size toys that you'd pay $5 or more for in a store. When Jersey destroys them I don't care quite so much. We tried one of the Orca chew toys, but that lasted all of about 2 minutes. Sometimes I would get crafty and sew the squeeker and the stuffing back into the stuffed toys that Jersey had ripped open and let her go at it again. Jersey did well with ropes toys. I'm very fortunate in that she usually doesn't swallow the pieces that she rips off. I also give her sow ears made by Merrick. They are about $2 each but last a long time. How old is Homer? Is he teething? Jersey's tendency to destroy things slowed down after she stopped teething.

OK, I'm done now. Sorry to ramble on so much. I think I've tried about every toy out there though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley is so bad on toys. I tell people he chews like a pit or doberman.

We have had success with the red kong, he has the same one from day one. We never used the puppy one.

We have also had success with nylabones. Stuffed ones, forget about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sophie, who will be 1 next week, destroys plush toys in minutes as well. She will rip them open and yank the stuffing right out until she finds the squeaker! My daughters have about 50 webkins (stuffed animals) that we needed to keep on a high shelf in their bedroom. Sophie use to go up there in their room and take one and prance around the house proudly. Luckily she was very gentle on these for the few moments she would have them. I think she knew that these belong to the girls and she was just having fun!
Tennis balls use to be fun but she now tears the felt covers off and swallows them.
She tore through one of those fire hose material toys but that took a few weeks.
I find that she enjoys nylabones and old beef marrow bones from the market. She works on those every night at my feet. Another thing she enjoys is this fleece material toys that is all tied in knots. This has lasted months and she still loves it. We throw it around and play tug of war with it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I was just telling Dave last night how lucky we are that Duke is good with his toys and doesn't tear them up. He laughed and said, "Yeah, that's because he's too busy tearing up the furniture." LOL!

Cassie, on the other hand, always tore up her toys. Nylabones were the one thing that always survived (labs weren't into Kongs when they were younger). They still love to chew on the Nylabones and Duke does, too. At any given time, there will be at least 4 Nylabones on the floor and usually at least one is in a dog's mouth. They last a month or so before I toss them, but we rotate them out. They tend to prefer the flavored ones.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've also had luck with Nylabone's flavored durable chews, although Henry is really tough on toys too. I rotate toys, as well, and his favorites usually last a couple of months. He's around 16-17 months old, and I see no end to chewing in sight! He hasn't destroyed the house, though. I usually buy him something every payday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a chewer as well. Pixie goes threw stuffed toys in minutes. Nylabones don't keep her interest for long. She'll chew on them once in a while then lose interest. So far, for me, the only things that have held the test of time are tennis balls and kongs. I have two red kongs and after 3 months she's just starting to rip pieces off one. Time to replace! I think I'll give these black ones a try! Didn't realize they were stronger than the red ones! They need to specialize some toys for the destructive chewers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the help /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif i think we try out the nylabones and get him a black kong for starters.we have been trying real beef bones in the evening and he eats too much of it so fast-the one thing we did find that he can't gnaw down hardly at all in an evening is a rib bone-we got ours at tractor supply co and he loves it-he will throw it around and play with it also which is a big plus for us even tho the sound of it banging on my wood floors make me cringe....lol.he is stocked up on rope toys-found a ton real cheap and different sizes like knotted in a ball and stuff-luckily he doesn't eat them-just leaves the wet slobbery strands all over the house.he has never chewed up anything in the house like the furniture and hopefully so of your suggestions for toys will keep him from getting bored and trying out the furniture....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts