Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home, when I stopped at Petsmart to get Shast'a new collar/leash (regular nylon for the time being - will check out harnesses when she is with me) I also picked up a new toy that, I thought (silly me) Shasta could chew on to her hearts content. It is put out by the makers of Nylabone - a ring with 3 keys - with bright colors. Well, got home - gave it to her and she immediately grabbed it, pranced around with it and was determined she was going to take it out. (I will carry this post over to the toy survey later) She loves it cause she is still chewing some. My question WAS going to be because I looked at it and the ends were already mangled - should I take it away if I find parts of the keys chewed off - I looked at it closely but still couldn't tell for sure. I had brought the keys up here for a bit while I type this. Then, just a couple a minutes ago I went down to let them in - while there Shasta started tossing something around (not very big) so I told her to leave it when I saw something dark land on the floor - thought she had brought something in from outside. Yep - you all probably guessed - it was a mangled up small bright blue piece of one of the keys. So, mainly because of that whole made in China dog toy scare - that's where these were made - and the fact that I just did not want her swallowing anything she shouldn't, no more play keys and again, just wasted 7 bucks.

I do have a question - does anyone know of a good chew-type toy that will not end up mangled by a Beagle mouth? I think maybe her Kong toy is about it. Those heavy-duty rope toys - she chews them into the little individual strings the way they started.

Gotta go do some laundry

Attachments

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
In all seriousness I don't think there is one.

Originally Posted By: Kim'n the Beaglebratz
I do have a question - does anyone know of a good chew-type toy that will not end up mangled by a Beagle mouth?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with Jamie. I mean, even the black kongs don't last forever with Chloe. I think the only eason she didn't murder her little good cuz, is that she likes the way it shifts directions when she plays with it. She also likes the fact it squeaks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I bought that set of Keys, and I returned it, because it was chewed up so fast.

Oddly enough, I bought this clearanced Christmas bear, and the girls have had it for over 2 weeks, and they have NOT chewed it up. Shocking... I don't know why they like it so much, but have not chewed it up.

Polly can even chew apart a Kong, too. Toys are kind of a crapshoot.
good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would love to find something Maggie can't destroy in minutes. We have been buying the inexpensive fleece toys sold at Petsmart. Maggie's routine is to unstuff it right away and throw the stuffing all over the room. When she gets it open enough I throw the squeaker away. Then Maggie carries it around for a day or two, shaking it and growling or throwing in the air and catching it. Eventually she brings it to one of us and engages us in a tug game. Finally after a few tug games over a period of days there are no more pieces big enough to tug. I throw it away and wait a day or two and give her a new one. She gets excited and happy every time she sees a new fleece toy and she starts the routine all over. We get a new one every couple of weeks. The other toy she loves is her "talkie" ball that makes animal sounds. Its hard plastic and not a chew toy but she loves to push it with her nose or paw and bark like crazy when it talks.If anyone knows of a great chew toy, I would love to hear about it also.
Connie

·
Registered
134 Posts
So far, Kioko doesn't disembowel her stuffed toys. I know she will eventually though. Once she figures out how to do it the first time, every stuffed toy from that day on will get destuffed. /sigh

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: MrsNixSo far, Kioko doesn't disembowel her stuffed toys. I know she will eventually though. Once she figures out how to do it the first time, every stuffed toy from that day on will get destuffed. /sigh
Just wait....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well Lucky isn't that destructive. He loves to fetch and chew on things. He doesn't destroy toys too often so he has a huge basket of all sorts of toys. He has yet to chew up his red kong so I never needed to get the black one. Lucky really chews up rawhide instead of his toys. He would rather fetch his toys then destroy them. Once the toys get torn or ripped then I try to throw them away before he takes them apart with pieces all over the house. Afterall, he has a ton more toys to play with!

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only toys that last more than a couple of days is a tennis ball. Thank gosh my neighbor works at a golf course/tennis courts. He brings any balls that are hit over the fence home and throws them over our fence.

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel is loosing his baby teeth now and i bought all sorts of toys to see which ones he likes the best... he loves them all...but after a few days they get all torn and tattered. i buy him the toys but just keep an eye on them and if they get to bad i throw them away.

but other than that i have to buy him the ones he likes (which are the ones he destroys the fastest) or he will end up chewing on my table legs

as long as you watch the toy and moniter how chewed up it is i think it will be ok

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Nylabones. They are tough enough to withstand the chewing but won't hurt them. Jersey can get little pieces off at a time but not anything I worry about hurting her. Kongs are good too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley can only have longer lasting durable toys/chews. Nylabones are good but go for the thicker ones that say for strong chewers. There are several varieties. Also, there is a product line called everlasting. kinda kong like where you put treats in it. We use kongs too.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like and use Nylabone with my medium-sized, powerful-chewer beagle mix. Another big hit around here are sticks. Seriously. Only outside, though, which is a challenge in the winter. I also like to buy low calorie edible bones and occasionally substitute them for a meal, since Henry eats three times a day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stuffed toys do not last long here either. Tennis balls get theirs covers ripped off as well. Nylabones are great. Also, we let Sophie have a marrow bone from our super market meat dept. and let her go to town on it outside. Once the bone has no meat left we let her have it in the house. She will sit by my feet at night chewing on the old beef bones. We get the raw bones and boil for only 10 minutes as per direction of the meat dept.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke doesn't destroy his toys (he destroys MY toys instead.LOL). He does chew on the ones meant for chewing and eventually they have to be replaced, but he still has Nylabones from Xmas that are finally in need of replacement, but his vinyl squeaky toys are still intact. Now, as for a stuffed toy, I'm not that brave. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fizz will destroy all toys within minutes, we throw her the empty plastic milk bottles now, and add a couple of pieces of pasta to make a noise. She will destroy this but it costs nothing and she loves it!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue is odd on this front. Some toys last five minutes, but he has one stuffed bone that he has had since we brought him home that is still intact. He doesn't destroy ropes either. We have problems, with rubber toys, those last all of five seconds around here!!! He is currently carrying around a cheap stuffed bunny that the groomer gave him over three weeks ago and there isn't so much as a stitch out of place!! He makes no sense this one...

·
Registered
50 Posts
YES! Plastic milk bottles. Sophie will dip her head into the recycle bid to take a plastic milk bottle to run around with and chew on in the yard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts