Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! One of my 2007 resolutions is to meet with a lawyer to prepare a will. I would really appreciate your input on what, for me, is a difficult thing to think about, i.e., who will take care of Maggie if something should happen to me. I do want to designate a caretaker for Maggie in my will. My two best friends, both of whom have had dogs (but not beagles) in the past, have offered their homes but I have reservations about both situations. One does not believe in having a dog inside the house -- the only way I can currently bring Maggie to their house is if I am willing to leave her on the porch. The other would have no problem having Maggie in the house but lives in a very tumultuous environment. FYI, my friends are my "family". Whomever I decide on, I would designate money be set aside for Maggie's care. Is anyone in a similar situation? Have you thought about this at all? Suggestions and alternatives would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Wow, this is a tough subject. I have thought about it fleetingly. We go to Jamaica once a year and I do think about what would happen to the Sadie and Pooh if something happened to us.

We don't really have anyone that could take them in. Hubbie's Mom lives in an apartment with no yard. My sister has 3 kids and a cat. I don't know, we just have to stay healthy and good so we can take care of them always.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I'm a 'single mom' to two dogs. My 21 year old son says he will take Maggie (who is technically HIS dog, but she lives with me); He doesn't think he could afford two dogs or give attention to two dogs if something would happen to me. Of course, my argument is: two dogs keep each other company, so it would make your job EASIER to have two. It's not an easy subject to discuss because I become emotional thinking about the 'what-ifs'....Maggie is so dependant on Calvin, she has separation anxiety if he's not within her sights.
My brother has a 200 acre farm,they could both go there, but his dogs are 'outside' dogs with access to barns and a warm porch.....and mine are terribly spoiled INSIDE dogs. It's just not an easy subject here either...... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I wish I could give you an easy answer, just go with your heart. Good Luck Judy!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I am in the same boat. My parents wouldn't want them because they don't have enough energy for my dogs (plus they already have one of their own). My sister has 4 kids and a cat so that wouldn't work either. It's a real tough call.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Does your Maggie seem to like one person or place more than the other? Maybe she could help you decide.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gee, that is a hard one. I don't know if it's a good decision, but maybe you could consider a Beagle Rescue place. Perhaps you could investigate the place first. With the money set aside for her care, they might consider it. I don't know if it's even legal, though.

Otherwise, I'd plan on living a long life with Maggie. I'm sure you will, anyway!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Judy,

I know how hard it is to deal with that. Being a "single mom" to 4 dogs (a beagle, 2 shepard/boxer mixes and 1 lab) it is difficult to find any one person who would agree to take them all and I don't think that I could separate them. I have seriously considered setting up a trust that would hire someone to be their live in caretaker and not sell the house.

The rescue is the ideal situation if you have a younger beagle as they tend to find great homes quickly but the seniors often take longer as not everyone is willing to take on the senior pup.

If Maggie gets along with other dogs I would gladly give her a great home if need be.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Judy,

This is tough. I live each day praying nothing serious would happen to me as I have to take care of not only my dog but also my aging mom. In my case, I can still rely on a dear friend who's devoting parent to three golden retrievers, all living in a comfy little townhouse.

Quote:Originally posted by jassy:
Does your Maggie seem to like one person or place more than the other? Maybe she could help you decide.
In your case, I think I quite agree with what Jassy said here. Put Maggie where she's most comfortable.

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts