Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of your Beagles do touch tag*think that's what it's called*? anyhow it's where if a dog is not playing or running around your Beagle barks wags tail touches the other dogs side of butt like a play nip, to get them going? Run he says, well Charlie tends to do this, and as much as I don't like it sometimes cause He thinks all dogs get his personality and know what he wants, HOWEVER sometimes there are dogs that don't like it and don't know what or why he's doing it, and will get very aggressive, Charlie has been attacked on a few occassions, No He won't fight back, He does not understand why he was attacked, kinda has a confused look....and walks away to the next dog that will accept his type of play. and when the dog accepts and understands his play, THEY RUN LIKE MAD TOUCH TAGGING EACHOTHER, that is the times I think it's cute, Hey Charlie you found a friend that's as strange as you are.

P.S CHARLIE LOVES To do this to much larger dogs *fingers crossed they like it*

Normally the dogs that don't accept this type of play, are dogs that are more into playing with the owner and fetching their balls back and forth, not really wanting to socialize with other dogs.

Well I know a lot of people won't like what I have to say, BUT why the heck are the dogs that don't socailize with other dogs but their owners and balls, go to parks where other dogs are. Perhaps also, they should warn us the dog is not friendly.......Hmmm. my penny cents:)

-------------------------------------

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben is not fond of dogs that are larger than him and he is especially not fond of any dog that spends too much time trying to get familiar with his hind quarters. He will let the other dog know that he is not interested by growling. I usually try to avoid more than a quick sniff with larger dogs when we are on our walks.

I used to take him to the dog park b/c he sometimes likes to play chase with dogs of a similar size or spend time just roaming around and sniffing. He had no interest in rough play with dogs and didn't bother much with the larger breeds.

Lots of people take their dogs to the dog park and just play ball with them. I think they do this b/c the dog gets lots of exercise in an open area. They may not have a large backyard or they may not have a backyard at all for that matter.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I used to bring the dogs to the dog park to help socialize Spock a little better, but he just gets nervous and unhappy, rolls over on his back, and growls at other dogs. Until I have an opportunity to socialize him on a more one-on-one basis with other dogs, I think it's safer for everyone and for his happiness to just hang out at home. Bones runs around at the dog park, sometimes chasing other dogs (she is a beagle and JRT magnet), but mostly sniffing everything. Both dogs gravitate toward the place where most dogs go to poo, and as other attendees of the dog park may have experienced, not all dog owners are vigilant or responsible about cleaning up, so I have to keep them from trying to sneak a disgusting snack. So we haven't been to the dog park in a while (couple this with the fact that the nearest one is 13 miles away, plus they don't seem to have any more fun than they'd have in our back yard).

Bones usually provokes play, nips Spock in the bum or just barks at him, crouches down with her bum and her wagging tail up in the air. Then they play and zoom around the house tackling each other, playing what appears to be tag, and stealing the other one's toy or bone.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe and Cole play this game all of the time and are receptive to it (both with each other and other dogs), Gino however seems to get annoyed by this game and winds up barking at Cole (mostly b/c Cole is the instigator with Gino)! Its quite entertaining to watch actually b/c it never escalates to fighting, just very noisy!

My only gripe with the dog park is people who bring their dogs there and dont let their dog interact or get annoyed when other dogs bark or try to play with their dog, I have witnessed this quite a bit and just wonder why, especially if their dog is friendly and wants to play

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: BeagleWeegle

Well I know a lot of people won't like what I have to say, BUT why the heck are the dogs that don't socailize with other dogs but their owners and balls, go to parks where other dogs are. Perhaps also, they should warn us the dog is not friendly.......Hmmm. my penny cents:)
Because dog parks aren't just about dogs playing with each other.

They are off leash areas where owners are able to exercise their dogs off leash. They aren't just restricted to dogs who want to play with other dogs, someone who wants to throw the ball for their dog has as much right to use an off leash area as you do.

My beagle doesn't really care for other dogs - she would much rather play with me or have her nose on the ground scenting! She wouldn't appreciate an over eager dog jumping on her or nipping her on the back side if she wasn't interested, but that doesn't make her aggressive.

I would take a dog that prefers to spend it's time with me, over a dog who is more interested in playing with other dogs, any day
Every one has a right to use off leash areas as long as their dogs are under effective control.

ETA: I don't want every dog under the sun to play with my dog, and one of my biggest pet hates are owners whose dogs are over excited/rough/dominant/misbehaved etc and harrass all the other dogs in the park, and tell me that their dog is just trying to play/say hello when it's clearly terrorising all the other dogs there. My dog doesn't like strange dogs that get in her face, jump on her, dominate her, hump her etc.

As it stands we rarely use the off leash area as almost every time we go in, a dog tries to pin Daisy to the ground, bite her, hump her, growl at her etc. Sometimes I would love to take her to the off leash park to work on her training but again, there are too many owners there who think they own the park and if my dog doesn't want to play with every dog there then she shouldn't be there.

Instead we often train on leash outside the dog park so that we don't have to deal with all the misbehaved dogs there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh yeah,

my three are all into that. all day, every day. unless we are out going rabbit hunting. i would wonder how long your beagle was with his or her littermates. bonnie and clyde have never been seperated and since we got them there hasnt been a day they dont play touch tag/wrestle that each round ends up with a on the back legs hand to hand mouths snarled open at each other tail waggin draw.

i have two dobermans at work that are a year and a half,
bonnie coaxed them out of the dog house with this, and now the dobs cant wait for the beags to come play.

as for the whole dog park thing. I stay away.
BUT i have other options, some people dont.
c.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.