Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boyfriend has to work his second job tonight, and I have to walk home, which takes about an hour, and I was thinking of getting him to drop Monty off at my work to walk home with me. When we go for a walk we usually only go for about 1/2 an hour at a time, and it is pretty hot out (24 degrees C...or 75 degrees F). Would this be too much for him? (He's a year old). I think he would love it, but my boyfriend says it might be too far and too hot. Any ideas??

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think you'll be fine, I've taken Fin on hour long walks before. Just make sure to keep him hydrated every so often. What about public transportation? I think it should be fine though, Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't allow dogs on puplic transportation. Monty's at home right now, i just thought if Justin picked him up and brought him here, then i could walk home with him, and give him a longer walk with a different route. He might not like all the traffic though...it's a pretty busy route.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
24 degrees is fine, we take ours for 45 mins. to an hour. they would go longer. At the moment we have 38 degrees centigrade so only go early mornings and late afternoon in the woods.
Beagles normally adore walking. What sort of route would it be?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel and I walk in the late afternoon or evening in the summer. Since it is often over 40 Celsius (Above 104 Fahrenheit) when the sun sets I would welcome 30 Celsius. The Bagel does require fluids to replace the expended magic beagle marking fluid deposited along our walks but he needs that when it is below freezing. Bagel has to leave his P-mail /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif No remember, he is outside (he has shade all day when the temps routinely hit 45 Celsius (48 Celsius/118 Fahreneit is the warmest it has gotten so far this year). Now if the humidity rises above 15 percent the Bagel may still want to go for a walk but bob doesn't like it when it is so muggy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The Bagel hardly ever pants in the summer except when he is intensely digging ion the desert but there we always have plenty of water (often in solid form). A typical Bagel walk around the hood takes 45 minutes to and hour and half!

I guess what I am saying is if a beagle is used to the temps, they will thrive from -5 to 45 Celsisus (Low 20s to 110s Fahrenheit).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Beau and Julio (pit and dobie) can handle walking in FL heat at noon, but suzy starts lifting her paws when we get down the street. She may just be spoiled but if I cant handle the heat (excema) I dont take them out. At night we walk to the pier that is about a mile down and they can all handle it, I wouldnt push more than that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
if should be fine. Maybe bring a fold-up bowl and a water bottle.
We take Oliver for 2 hour hikes every other week. We go about 5am and its already 100 degrees here in the desert and he does awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts