Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been walking scout since after her last round of shots at about 3.5 months. I it started with little 15-20 min walks. Now its gotten quite a bit longer. She is about 6 months and her main walk has grown to 1-1.5 hours. I can't walk her in the morning and she is in her crate all day (I let her out at lunch) so when I get home she is crazy and ready to play. Thats when I take her on her long walk. It does a lot of good since she is much calmer when I get her home. Even then I still play fetch and chase, so she still runs around. I then take her on a shorter 30-45 minute walk before bed.

Is this too much stress for her bones? We take her to puppy day care 2 days a week and she has to be running around there all day. She really likes the walks and runs to the door when I get her leash. If I don't take her on the long walks she is really hyper and hard to even play with.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I bow to you.... this is excellent in my opinion.
I think that it's perfect, short 10 min. walk in the morning, than 1+ hours walk (not run!!! too early for her bones) and 45 walk before bed... I wish I could do that. It's just like cesar says: a tired dog is a happy dog /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .
Chloe does go out to the park and runs around with the other dogs for about an hour every night... on top of the short morning walk and an afternoon 30 min walk.

Good for you!! :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Lucky beagle, you cant over walk her. Great that you are so keen yourself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I can get the willpower I will try the short morning walk, but sleep seems to over rule. I get home early in the afternoon so its either walk her or play/try to watch crappy TV. Plus the walk gives me exercise. I just load up some songs on the iPod and walk.

I wore her out yesterday. On the weekends I am able to take her on a walk in the morning. So I get up and go over an hour. She passes out for about 4 hours (this is nice, I can actually get something done!). Then she woke up and I took her on another long walk. She fell asleep at 7 and other than taking her out to pee before bed, didn't wake up until 4.

Its good to know I am not hurting her in any way. With the long afternoon walk she is so much better behaved. And the shorter walk before bed makes sure she sleeps through the night.

·
Registered
837 Posts
In a small breed like a beagle, once they are six months a long walk is ok. In bigger breeds you do have to be careful because their joints are not fully developed at this age, and over exercising can cause issues with joints etc.

It is good you have worked her up to it, beagles do need a lot of regular exercise /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts