Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an issue with my pup that I would like to get under control. When people come into my house she gets crazy hyper. She will start sprinting all over the place knocking anything in her path over.

I tried having her sit and treating her for being calm but she could care less about treats when she sees people. I have tried leashing her and taking her out of the room till shes calm but as soon as she sees them again she gets crazy all over. We even tried people completly ignoring her but she will still run around crazy.

I am out of ideas
Its getting to the point where I just crate her and dont let her out when other people are here.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow!! If I didn't know better I would think your beagle was named Casey because she does the same thing!! I have tried the same things you did and to no avail. She only settled down as she got a little older. She still gets hyper, but she's controllable now. She usually settles down as the excitement of the situation dies down. Good luck sorry I couldn't be more help, but you are not alone in this situation.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just thought was how Beagles were. lol Ours are exactly the same and all I can do is try to get them to settle down, but anyone visiting our house is pre-warned that they are going to be bombarded for a minute or two. Then all is fine and the dogs lay around as if the people have been there all along.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol glad im not the only one to deal with this haha

I want her to still be happy and excited but being a torpedo and bombarding every object and couch in the room is a little much lol. Weve had drinks knocked over, xbox knocked over lol I guess it will slow with age.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our guy goes frantic for visitors too - here's what we're working on. We usually put him in the kitchen while we answer the door - still afraid he'll bolt. We ask whoever is at the door to wait (it's usually our parents or siblings) and we ask Regal to sit and stay while we answer the door.

He cannot come out of the kitchen to greet the guests unti he does a sit stay (the stay is short since he's still pretty young).

Here's where it gets tough...we ask our guests not to pet him or give him attention until he sits - but frankly they're not listening! I had to be firm with my dad the other day (ouch!) and he told me to relax.

Hopefully your guests will be more accomodating of your rules...I think it's going to take time and patience...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just finished reading Ceasars book Be the Pack Leader and it addresses this issue and says just what thereagalbeagle said. Tucker is pretty mellow since he is almost 7 but he still gets excited for the first few minutes with visitors. After a while he usually just goes somewhere else unless he can tell the visitor is a dog person. If they are, he goes for the pets and sometimes lap time.

We have an expression at our house that can get you out of most anything. It is DOL, which means dog on lap so I don't have to move. If my wife asks me to do something, I just say DOL and then I don't have to do it. However, if she checks and I don't actually have DOL I get in trouble.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie gets real hyper too when he see friends. They all know he's a puppy so I don't think anyone thinks less of him or our training. The only instructions we give our guests is to not let him jump on them. If he does they say off, turn around and ignore him. He's pretty used to this treatment now and usually gets it immediately. We then tell our guests to get down to his level to give pets. It seems to work best for everyone. It does seem after he gets his initial dose of pets he's not so spastic. I think he just wants attention and once he gets it he'll settle down.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That sounds sooo familliar! Menolly does the exact same thing! She ADORES people to the point of acting like a maniac. Luckily everyone who has come in has loved dogs and doesn't mind. And she is calming down faster. When I first got her it took her nearly a full hour to settle down- now it's down to five minutes. She just has to get the hyper out of her system and then she's fine. It helps too if I know someone is coming over and take her for a nice long walk beforehand to get her nice and tired.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ours are 9 years old and still go crazy when we have visitors come over. We don't have much company. We too warn visitors that they will be greeted by 2 excited Beagles. They calm down in about 5 min. usually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts