Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing or has experienced this? We take the girls outside to go poo and they don't go. Instead the minute they come in the house they run around like they know their not suppose to go in the house, but they do it anyway? Its been very cold here, so what I'm thinking is they start playing outside to stay warm and once they come in their muscles must relax and they have to go?
We are now trying to take them out one at a time and it seems to be working a little bit?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH Ya! It's been a battle here too.....

In the middle of the blizzard with severe wind and horizontal snow, there was NO WAY to get Maggie to complete either job. She held BOTH for 24 hours (a first for her), and then at 2am couldn't wait any longer. sheesh.
I have found that the minus degree wind chills before dawn and after dark are too hard on her also. So.....I carry her to her potty spot, which I had to uncover with a snow shovel, because any OTHER spot was unacceptable to her. I have to be firm in giving the potty order because she shakes, standing on three feet, tail tucked under....giving me the sad eyes. I DO think they get too cold to go poo until they absolutely CAN'T hold it anymore. It helps to keep them corralled in one room, with their crates to keep accidents down. Stay firm and vigilent, and soon we'll all be enjoying spring again....... :freak:

G

·
0 Posts
Same here and i'm in the middle of house training him. He's not liking the blowing wind and snow

Whats working for me right now is an area under my deck that offers him some shelter and he's gone there the last two days.

D.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My Lucky never wants to poo outside. He is a shy pooper. If anyone could possibly be looking at him, he will not go. This is not easy to do in an apartment, but never fear. We are closing on our house on 2/28/07. Lucky will be able to poo outside again!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I feel your pain! -35C here with the wind this morning. I'm lucky that my two don't see going inside as an option so they keep it as quick as possible, but getting them to give in and go out is a challenge. We have only had them out walking once in the last two weeks because their paws simply can't handle the cold and the salt. Let's just say cabin fever is setting in and they are NUTS!!!

Good luck - hopefully in another couple of weeks things will moderate and we can get back to normal!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
We don't worry with snow here, but when the weather is bad I let mine use training pads. Thankfully they know that when the pads aren't there, they need to go potty outside!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Well, as posted before...I have no experience with "girl beags". But our "boy's" have never had a problem with adverse weather conditions! :thumbup: Properly trained...our "boy's" have never had a problem as was witnessed by my first experience as a new homeowner in the winter of 92/93! While Pop & I replaced the broken pipes...Goober & Duke continued to "warm-up & go outside to play tag" thanks to the dog door! The day was 1 December 1992,(I will never forget it)! Wind chills for that day were 50 degrees below zero! (But a very young Goober, and a beag in his prime were totally unaffected by those conditions)! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The snow was higher than the hounds last winter, didnt worry them, they still went to the toilet outside. Dave cleared a few places for them and dug trenches.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Today was Harley's first accident in a long time. I had cleared out an area in the backyard for him and have had no problems.

But the wind was too much for him today. He poo'd outside but I guess he wasn't done because he left me a present for me to find on my basement floor 10 minutes later.

Andy & Harley

·
Registered
52 Posts
We're having the same problem right now, and we're in the middle of housetraining. Scooter had been doing great with pottying outside... until the other day. We had a huge storm... lots of freezing rain and ice. He would just sit at my feet and shiver and cry until I brought him in. And I didn't blame him, it was pretty awful out there. So he had a few accidents in the house that day... but I didn't correct him for it, it just was way too bad to be out. When the weather cleared up, I shoveled him a spot in the yard so he didn't have to walk on the ice, and I started taking him outside regularly again and he is doing just fine. But he still cries and holds up his feet when we go outside to potty.... and he HURRIES! lol.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We hear you here in Chitown.

Just got a ton of snow and all Snoops wants to do is run and play in the snow. He hopps around because it is up to the top of his legs and he is a 15" beagle...it is so funy to watch.
He is so distracted that he will not poop!

Hasnt went in the appt yet...keeping fingers crossed.

Manda and Snoops

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by scooterbear:
he still cries and holds up his feet when we go outside to potty.... and he HURRIES! lol.
lol - Harley looks like he's tap dancing outside. He can't keep his paws on the ground at the same time. It's really cold.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've been complaining about the really cold temperatures here in the South, but our lowest has been about 18 degrees. Compared to what a lot of y'all are getting, that's downright balmy. :eyes: After some of the scenes I've seen on the news, I'd best quit my complaining. Hang in there. Don't know about other areas, but one of our area forecasters says that after this coming Monday most of our really cold weather should be behind us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts